rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety

I have mentioned bright light therapy in a number of previous posts on the forum, as well as recommended it to some posters in PMs. But I thought it would be useful to post a reference thread that explains what bright light therapy is, summarizes its benefits, and contains detailed instructions for maximizing these benefits.

I will preface the below by saying that, in my opinion, bright light therapy is the single most effective tool for getting on and maintaining a regular sleeping schedule and enjoying high quality sleep, night in night out. In addition, it is one of the most effective ways to reduce depression and anxiety for those that suffer from them -- either seasonally or otherwise. These are not just opinions -- they have been confirmed by extensive research, and I have personally observed the benefits of bright light therapy in a number of people I know. Best of all, it is extremely safe and has no negative side effects whatsoever when used correctly.

Now, I am going to describe what bright light therapy is, what its benefits are, and how it should be used to maximize these benefits.

1. What is bright light therapy?

It's very simple. You sit next to a light box containing fluorescent bulbs that radiate bright light of the same frequencies as natural sunlight in the visible spectrum (but filtering out the ultraviolet frequencies). This way, you effectively absorb a very large intensity (10,000 lux) of natural sunlight in a relatively brief amount of time (20-30 minutes). It looks like this:

[Image: lightbox.jpg]

2. What does it do and how does it work?

The 24 hour cycle of daylight and darkness is the most basic fact about our natural environment and dictates the circadian rhythms that modulate sleep and wakefulness. Therefore it is unsurprising that absorption of sunlight in the visible spectrum directly affects the biological pathways that are most relevant to the sleeping/waking cycle. That cycle, in turn, is intimately related to mood and overall sense of well-being. States of depression and anxiety, almost without exception, involve and indeed require dysregulation of the sleeping-waking cycle.

The correct use of bright light therapy cues the brain in the morning to start the circadian cycle for the day at the right time. As a result, the different stages of wakefulness and sleep become properly regularized. You go through the day feeling wakeful and having good levels of energy, you start getting "sleep tired" and fall asleep reliably at around the same time each night, and you then wake up at the same time the following morning following a night of correctly structured and restorative sleep. This is the ideal way that our sleep/waking cycle should proceed for a healthy body and a healthy mind -- at regular and consistent intervals, repeated like clockwork. The cuing through bright light therapy achieves this.

In addition (and as I said, these things cannot really be separated from each other because of their intimate biological connections) bright light therapy, correctly administered, is extremely effective at reducing symptoms of depression and anxiety -- including, but not limited to, the so called "winter blues" or SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).

Best of all, bright light therapy when used correctly has no negative side effects -- none.

In my opinion (and I'm not the only one who thinks this and has said it) if bright light therapy was a drug it would be the best-selling drug in the world. It is extremely effective, reliable, and has zero side effects. The only reason it is not more well-known is because it cannot be marketed by a pharma company.

3. What is the right way to use bright light therapy?

The key is consistency. You want to do it every morning, relatively soon after you wake up, for the same amount of time (20-30 minutes) at the same intensity (10,000 lux).

Depending on the exact box you're using, you sit at between 15'' - 23'' from the box to achieve the 10,000 lux intensity. You don't look directly at the bulb, but across it. Make it part of your morning ritual -- you can have your breakfast, read the paper, and so on. Again, it looks like this:

[Image: lightbox.jpg]

To repeat the keys are:

-- use same time every morning soon after you wake up
-- 10,000 lux at the correct distance (typically 15'' - 23'', depends on the exact product)
-- 20-30 minutes, looking across the light box as shown in the picture

4. Links, FAQ, Etc

There is a great deal of research that supports the statements and suggestions I made above. Here are some selected links:

Nice Q&A from Columbia University
Mayo Clinic write-up
Wiki
One of the original studies
Harvard Med School write-up

In addition, I can speak from personal observation. While I am blessed to be a naturally good sleeper and have not needed bright light therapy myself, I sent light boxes to people I know closely -- including my mother and my aunt -- who were having serious trouble sleeping, as well as problems with stress and anxiety. The results were great in every case I have personally observed so far: these people started sleeping much better within days, and have experienced very substantial relief of their anxiety and depressive symptoms.

Two other quick points to make:

-- Light boxes radiate visible spectrum light only. They filter out the ultraviolet frequencies (as I already mentioned above). That means that you do not get UV radiation from a light box -- so you can't get tanned from it, or be exposed to dangerous (or any) amounts of UV. This also means that it will not stimulate production of vitamin D (that is done by the UV frequencies). A light box is not a replacement for natural sunlight -- you still need that UV. Rather, it uses a heightened intensity of visible spectrum light at the right time to correctly cue your circadian rhythms.

-- Although bright light therapy is not only for fall/winter, there is a reason I'm posting this thread at the end of August. This is a time of year when the duration of natural daylight is rapidly decreasing (if you are in the Northern hemisphere), and many people begin struggling with their sleep, mood and energy levels. For many people, this is the most natural time of the year to start thinking about bright light therapy.

5. Product Suggestions

I like light boxes made by the SunBox company (they're the original manufacturer that started making them in the US). They're reliable and of great quality. In particular, I like this one:

Sunlight Jr.

There are also other companies that make these, but in my opinion quality makes a real difference, so I would not go for one of the cheapest models. These things last forever, so it's not like you're going to be replacing them. It's a one time investment.

I hope guys who have trouble establishing a good regular sleeping schedule, or who feel that they are suffering from low energy levels, depression-like symptoms, or anxiety, consider this very under-appreciated, and exceptionally safe, therapeutic modality.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Messages In This Thread