rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Should I buy a DSLR or camcorder?

Should I buy a DSLR or camcorder?

So I need some advice on whether to buy a DSLR or camcorder. I want a better tool than my point-and-shoot for making youtube videos.

Definite requirements:
-Hot shoe connection to add shotgun mic or LED lights in the futures
-LCD screen that can face me while I'm filming (so I know where I am in the shot)

The camcorder I'm looking at is the Canon G20. It does everything I need for shooting video. ($900)

[Image: HR_VIXIA_HF_G20_3Q_CL_1_610x488.jpg]

The DSLR I'm considering is the Canon Rebel T3i. It has a max recording time of 30 minutes assuming the sensor doesn't get too hot. ($600)

[Image: t3i_586x186.gif]

Three issues:

-I have a feeling that the DSLR will have a longer learning curve, and I can't just point-and-shoot video like maybe with auto mode on a camcorder. Is that correct?

-As of today, I only need a camcorder, but I have a feeling that having photo capability will be useful, and I doubt I will need to shoot more than 30 minutes in one take.

-The T3i is $300 cheaper.

At first I was leaning towards the camcorder, but the DSLR seems to be a more logical choice. It does everything I need currently and is cheaper.

What do you guys think?

Messages In This Thread