rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

If you are 16-18, get a job now

If you are 16-18, get a job now

If I could say one thing to myself at 16, it would be to go get a job somewhere. A real job. Not a summer camp temp job like I did. When I was 16, the thought barely occurred to me in our infantilized world. Its like another bluepill/redpill thing. I didnt hold a real job, a steady job until I was almost 22, but now I have had one for over two years. Its retail and it sucks, but I am satisfied with the decision to go for it.

I went in a little bitch, and have come out something resembling a man. I started out not having a clue how to steer or use a pallet jack, getting mocked and hazed and treated like trash. I almost quit a half dozen times, but I said "No, Im going to get thru this." And now here I am, being that cynical asshole who hazes the new kids, make them do the dirty work, but also teach them the ropes.

Why should you get a job?
You get money. You wont get money anywhere else. College, for example, costs money (usually). High school is just spending time idling. Money is not an end, which is something most people do not understand. Money is a means. You trade your labor for money, which is like an energy force that you can use to do other things. Maybe you want to buy drugs and alcohol. Maybe you want a certain car. Maybe you want hookers. Maybe you want to go away to a foreign land. Maybe you want to buy a house, or some land in the country. Maybe you want to pursue a hobby. Whatever it is, you need to trade some labor to get it.

You get experience. Many jobs today require experience, especially the better paying ones. A lot of jobs are entry-level and will accept your worthless self and train you to be better, and they often take a huge risk doing so. Take advantage of that. The reason you want to do this now at 16 is because when you are 21 or 22 and have a college degree, you will see that work as beneath you, but the jobs you will want will require experience, often any experience. Even if its not the right field, someone who has 5 years of job experience looks a hell of a lot better than someone with a college degree in the field, but no job experience. If you have the degree and the experience, you are at the top of the pile. Its better to get the drudge work over with when you are 16 than when you are 22.

You stay out of trouble. When you have something to do with your time, such as a job, you dont look for things to do, such as crime. Most people arent criminal minds; they simply end up in bad situations and social psychology forces them to join the herd. If you dont get into those situations, you are not a part of them. On top of that, many employers require you stay drug free and crime free, and will fire you for either. So that is an extra incentive to keep you from making bad decisions, even when you are in bad situation.

You learn how to be social. I had trouble making friends in school and for a long time, I only had two at any given moment. By senior year, I became more social. But now, compared to then? I had been a clam. School is so miserable, you just want to get in and get out. Not to mention you only have a few minutes to run around between classes. Lunch is 25 minutes, maybe 40 if you are lucky. And any talking in class is a one way ticket to the office or detention. At work, you are happier to be there even if it sucks (because money). You can move around, be yourself, you are even encouraged to be a part of the "Team"! Not to mention, most entry-level jobs involve working with the public. If you arent social, youll learn to be, or youll suck and maybe get fired. I started off at the bottom of the barrel, awkward as hell, but now I know everyone, everyone knows me. And I know I have many people who will (probably) back me up when I need something. I know how to socialize, joke around, and be a friend. And all of this ultimately led to getting promoted. I was good at what I do, and I know how to deal with customers, coworkers, and managers.

You have a much better chance with women. Youre at a bar or a party or in a café or a class and someone says "So, what do you do?" If your response is "Well...uhh...um...I...well..." youre in deep trouble, regardless of the gender of who you are talking to. No one likes a loser who sits at home playing Skyrim and eating cheetos. If you dont know what hypergamy is, get on that. Having a job just as a fact already puts you in the top half of your group. Additionally, all the above benefits also give you the tools you need: status and experience.

Dont make the mistake I made of waiting, expecting college to be the magical ticket to any job you want. A debate can be had about the merits of a college degree, but what cannot be debated are the benefits of work experience, regardless of whether you have a degree. You dont even need to have a regular corporate job in a store, a restaurant, or an office. You can start your own business walking dogs, mowing lawns, fixing computers. If you have a skill, use it. If not, you can always scan barcodes, take money, and stock shelves.

I am loath to quote an evil bastard, however "you have nothing to lose but your chains. You have a world to win."

For more information and what inspired this post: College: Not the Be All, End All We’re Led to Believe

Messages In This Thread