rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

PT8498,

Cobra is dropping sincere insight and knowledge on you concerning the profession.

I don't know what state/country you are in but the state I am in in the US requires ~150 credit hours with a base in accounting to sit for the CPA, so essentially you must get your Master's.

The Big 4 recruit from most of the top 20% of the Masters programs.

The reason Cobra is saying to go for the CPA and the Big 4 is because those two credentials are the gold standard in Corp. Accounting and do not hurt for many Corp. Finance/Business Admin positions.

With the Big four you will be exposed to a large network of professionals with tremendous support and infrastructure and the opportunity to prove yourself in a big pond.

If you are thinking of using Accounting to boot strap yourself into another venture the Big 4 route is the best way to go.

Get yourself into the pool in your region. Beta Alpha Psi, Master's degrees, campus recruiting events are all within your reach but you have to do the leg work yourself to find it.

The only reason I logged in today to post this was because I read your comment about not needing/wanting to do this forever. That was so similar to my own thought process in my early 20s I had to chime in.

I have made some money off my side ventures and had a lot of failure to launch but am still searching for my own thing. What has kept me afloat is advancement within a Corporate career. I passed on a big 4 tax position to do internal audit with 50% international travel.I don't know what was the right move but can say I have been recruited by the big 4 on various occasions since that time 9 years ago. I might be further along if I had taken the plunge. But they do provide optimal experience and a badge of honor on your resume. No matter where you go in the Corp. World you'll run into Big 4 alumni...I still deal with them daily.

One last piece of advice- don't burn bridges, the profession is a relatively small world.

Apologies for any typos- on a phone in the office.

Messages In This Thread