rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

The Accounting Career Data Sheet

Cobra and Sonoran, I appreciate the response.

My motivation here is 100% career related. I've drained enough blood and sweat into this thing that I would not for a split second set out to jeopardize what I've built for some momentary fresh ass. Before I developed a healthy respect and appreciation for the accounting path, I shat where I ate here and there -- and while, given the particular environment I shat in, there were minimal repercussions and it's water under the bridge by now, I learned through those experiences never to do it again. I count myself lucky that the worst that came of it is my buddies from that era will never let me forget that I poked a fug or two.

That being said, I'm not overly concerned with the SJW poz commie university culture more broadly. I'd approach it with a mercenary mindset: go in, get my job done, achieve my personal goals, collect my measly $800 per credit, and GTFO. I have no desire to immerse myself in or contribute to the "culture"; and to the extent I need to at least coexist with it, no sweat since I've been doing it for years with various employers.

When I say networking, I think the potential to use this as an outlet to meet potential future job connects is probably limited (not to say I still wouldn't take every chance I get to go to employers' nights and Beta Alpha Psi events, etc. and see who I run into). There are better outlets for that, like the state society of CPAs, local AICPA chapter, you name it.

More what I had in mind is using it to establish a downstream pipeline that can feed me qualified subordinates in the future. One of my constant struggles in my market is finding accountants with half a brain who can get the basic job done without hand holding. I'm thinking by getting in front of a pool of potential future job candidates, I can identify the ones that are motivated and smart, groom them and steer them in the right direction, and then keep in touch until some future point at which I'm hiring and they're looking for a job. Same with the actual full time professors. A lot of accounting geeks tend to keep in touch with their professors; I can use that second degree connection to my advantage.

The above is maybe 1/3 of what I'm in it for. The other 2/3 is resume building. When I go for a promotion or jump to a new employer, I have to think having part-time teaching in my back pocket would be a killer differentiator. The path to VP of Finance/Accounting or chief accounting officer (or CFO of a mid market private co.) is generally pretty plain vanilla-- there are only so many ASCs you can fuck around with after a while. This would at least set me apart from the rest of the nerds who have reviewed 10-Ks, implemented ERPs, ran discounted cash flow models, blah blah blah.

Anyway, I'm going to go for it. May take some time to line it up given the limited opportunities in my locale, but when I do I will report back.

Messages In This Thread