rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Advanced/Remote First aid & drugs

Advanced/Remote First aid & drugs

I'm currently out at work in the middle of the Canadian north, and got a pretty decent infection that required a 2.5 hr trip to the hospital for a doc to look at it. Was basically sent in because after a doc looked at a pic from the medic here, said it looked like I was at the cross roads of it being able to be handled with oral antibiotics, or it getting real bad so wanted a hands on look.

Anyways it got me thinking, since I go out on my own or in small groups sometimes on long hikes. Or in the past I sailed across the Atlantic with a small group, and sometimes in instances like that, you're literally days from help, and beyond the reach of choppers.

Basically, does there exist some sort of intensive next level first aid training? I'm not talking about a 2 day course you do for work that covers CPR/Choking/burns, but something not as intensive as a 2 year paramedic course.

Maybe something that covers more advanced hands on stuff like stitching wounds, running IVs, giving injections, setting broken bones, crash course on drugs etc. Obviously not at a doctor's level, more a 'it's better than nothing' level. Or are you likely to do more harm than good?

Also if there are any doctors or pharmacists here, on remote trips such as these, are there ever exemptions given for prescription level drugs? Like for instance in this case antibiotics? Next level pain killers? Had I been forced to go another 3-7 days without these drugs due to being stuck in a small sailboat 2000km from land, it probably could have gotten much worse.

Messages In This Thread