rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Anyone learning to play the guitar?

Anyone learning to play the guitar?

Quote: (07-04-2014 07:39 PM)Ethan Amarante Wrote:  

Quote: (07-04-2014 06:12 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

If you're just learning how to jam on a guitar, tab is fine. It is really nice knowing how to read music though, it opens up your options immensely.

To echo what's been said; if you're serious about learning guitar, play every single day. Even if you just pick it up and jam some chords for 15 minutes. You need to keep that muscle memory active.

Start by learning all major and minor chords, and their various positions on the fretboard.

Then learn 7th chords.

Then learn diminished and augmented chords.

This will give you a good foundation for playing different chords in different keys.

If you want to solo, then it's time to learn scales. Learn your circle of 5ths. Learn minor, melodic minor, and harmonic minor. Learn how to play in each of the 7 modes.

It's a long journey. Enjoy it.

I second all of this. But, if you're approach musical theory in as rational and systematic way as possible, you might be surprised at how simple a lot of it is once you've got a grasp of some fundamental concepts.

I regard musical theory as one of those things which appears incredibly technical and complex so puts a lot of people off who underestimate their abilities, but actually only takes a few weeks (or months if you're busy) to get your head around - at least to understand all of what's in this post.

Agree with this completely. If you understand how to construct a major or minor chord instead of rote memorization it's a much greater tool and gives you more of a fundamental understanding.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Messages In This Thread