rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What causes us to cringe at others' embarrassing actions?

What causes us to cringe at others' embarrassing actions?

Quote: (06-12-2014 02:38 PM)Menace Wrote:  

I was thinking the other day about this feeling I sometimes get when I see people do things that are commonly called "cringe worthy?" Usually it is something socially "inappropriate."

What causes this feeling when we see someone do this? Is it good or bad to have this feeling? If we eliminated this feeling in ourselves would it improve us in some way? Any relationship to social/approach anxiety? Curious as to what others think.

I always thought people "Cringe" as a response as if to say they're better than whoever's making the cringe-worthy behavior because of course they would never commit such a social faux-paus because of their breeding, education and attention to social norms. Basically a response dictated by the desire to "fit in" and mock everyone who isn't fitting into their preconceived notion of behavior given the sitatuion.

Messages In This Thread