rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Frequency Method: Training the Same Muscle *Daily* For Strength & Mass Gains

The Frequency Method: Training the Same Muscle *Daily* For Strength & Mass Gains

Quote: (06-08-2014 09:12 AM)nogamenick Wrote:  

I don't see how this will add any significant strength or mass gains.
Building mass is all about diet. We all know the calorie in vs calorie out story by now. Building mass is all about tension. You want to strain the muscle in order for it to grow. Typically 40 seconds of tension.

Pehaps a better way to take this would be to take the push-ups for example and then time yourself. Don't lock out. keep the tension on for at least 40 seconds. This might help for some time but eventually you'll just have to hit the gym.

For getting lean and cutting fat this routine would be pretty bad. When being in a calorie deficit, your body will start to burn muscle. You have to lift HEAVY to remind the body that you need these muscles. So lifting bodyweight won't do much for you.

I don't see how this will help with strength because the key to strength is overload. A small number of reps with a really heavy weight.

Before I ever hit the gym I used to do stuff like this routine at home in combination with my kung fu training for minor conditioning. Eventually you have to go to the gym.

There is a lot of science and anecdotal evidence that goes against what you are saying. Frequency is a great tool for increasing size/strength, which is why professional Olympic lifters do 12+ workouts per week.

First, for size purposes the increases reps IS increased time under tension. Sure, 40 seconds of tension per set might be the optimal time under tension for hypertrophy, but it is also extremely taxing. However spreading some extra reps throughout the day allows you to have additional time under tension, albeit less taxing so you can recover quicker. Thus your cumulative time under tension for a muscle group goes up, meaning increased gains.

For cutting purposes it still works well because it is a minimally taxing method for increasing your metabolism and keeping your muscles active. The way you build muscle is by activating mTOR, and you activate mTOR by placing the muscles under stress i.e. exercise. So by doing a handful of sets of pushups throughout the day you keep muscle synthesis levels up, increase your metabolism causing you to burn more calories, thereby helping you lean out quicker.

In regards to strength gains, the increased frequency allows you to practice a movement repeatedly, engraining the motor pattern, which makes you more efficient at performing it. Increased motor unit efficiency leads to increased strength. Ever notice how when you first try a new exercise or one you haven't done in awhile, you see the biggest jumps in strength in the first 3-4 weeks, then it gets harder and harder to add reps/weight? That is because your body in becoming more efficient at the movement. The muscular strength gains are minimal. The muscles are strong enough, they just aren't efficient.

Hopefully this helps and makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't. Strength and conditioning is my passion/career, and I'd like to help members on here any way I can.

Messages In This Thread