rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is bankruptcy a con?

Is bankruptcy a con?

Former England soccer keeper has just declared himself bankrupt after a divorce.

He seemed like a smart guy and earned about 30 million dollars in his career.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/perso...krupt.html

The reason I wanted to start a thread on this is because I am confused what bankruptcy actually means in this day and age.

About 200 years ago - you would go to Debtors prison and be enslaved until you repaid your debt (I think that is how it worked in Dickensian England).

But these days - it seems you can declare bankruptcy, sit on the naughty step for a year and then get on with your life.

Is that what this sentence means?

Quote:Quote:

The documents state Mr James, who now works as a football pundit for BT Sport, will be automatically discharged from bankruptcy in a year.

Also - for those declaring bankruptcy - do they have to give up their expensive houses - or do they get to keep them?

I am just confused about this whole area. Both in terms of how it used to be - and how it is today.

When I was a kid - I thought bankruptcy meant going to live on the streets. But these days - it seems to mean you take a break from partying for a year.

I am confused.

Messages In This Thread