rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hitchhiking! What's your take?

Hitchhiking! What's your take?

I saw two Polish hitchikers at the roadside the other day so this got me thinking about it.

Have you ever been hitchiking?
If you have, what are your experiences?
Have you ever picked up hitchhikers?

I guess most people relate hitchhikers to some brokeass backpackers, which is probably true in many cases but I've met a bunch of other people doing it aswell.
Some people only uses hitchhiking when they are traveling, and some of them I've met had really impressive journeys and juicy stories.

Personally, I'm not a hitchhiker but I've done it a few times.
The times I've done it were when I was bored and craved for some action and adventure.
Life begins where the comfort zone ends and going out alone in the middle of nowhere in a foreign country and trying to get someone to pick you up is definitely a step outside the comfort zone. It's all about self improvement and self development.

You must expect the unexpected and unexpected things will certainly happen. You have no idea what will happen, who will pick you up, if anybody will even pick you up, or how far will you reach, you maybe have to spend the night outside.
It will be some sort of adventure for sure. You will learn things about life and yourself and you will most likely get under the skin of local regular johns.

First time I tried hitchhiking was in Plodviv,Bulgaria and I wanted to reach Istanbul. That is not a short journey and I was very optimistic to say the least.
However, I looked on he map of Plodviv and took a taxi to a good strategical hitchhiking point and streched out my thumb. After 5 minutes an old Bulgarian man took me to the outside of the town Haskovo. From that place an man from Azerbaijan with a black BMW e30 picked me up. This guy didn't just take me to the Turkish border, he took me all the way to center of the monster city Istanbul! We could communicate in little in Russian and he bought me meal and tea at a restaurant.
True gentleman.

Second time didn't go so well. I was riding on the waves of my hitchiking success so I decided to hitchhike out of Istanbul aswell. I went to the last metro stop and from there I wanted to get to the big highway going east. After a few minutes a young couple picked me up and agreed to take me to the highway. He drove a few minutes on the highway and I told him several times that I'm fine here and he can let me out. He didn't listen and continued. After few attempts I lost my patience and told him loudly to stop the fucking car. Then he pulled over to another road and locked the goddamn doors He started to scream that I'm a total dumbass who want to get off at the big highway and it's very dangerous. He was afraid that I would be robbed and raped. This guy took me to the fucking airport on the Asian side. I was pissed off and told him that he just ruined my day. From that airport I had to wait a long time for a bus to take me to my next destination.
Result: wasted time, lost money and hope for Turkish people.

Third time was at a busstatiom outside the Turkish border next to the Iraqi border.
I had a high fever and it was late in the evening. I wanted to get to Iraq but I was so tired and sick so I just wanted find a place in town where I could sleep and rest before crossing the border. When I was walking towards the town I streched out my thumb in hope of that someone would drive me to the town center. But then a minivan full of Kurds pulled over and let me know that they are going to Erbil in Iraq and I can join them. I did, but I felt so sick so I started to think that someone had slipped me a mickey. The border crossing procedure took hours. On the Iraqi side we stopped at some resturant and they invited me to join a full table of food. It was funny even if nobody spoke English.
They took me to the centre of Erbil. It was in the middle of the night, I had no map or idea where to go so I just started to bash on every hotel door. It took some time before I found a place I was satisfied with.
Hitchhiking into Iraq during nightime

I'd say hitchiking involves a lot hassle but it's an experience for sure.
I simply live for adventure but I can't see myself doing it again if I don't need to.

This is my take, what is yours?

Messages In This Thread