rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The "courtesy of indifference"

The "courtesy of indifference"

Had a long discussion with a friend of mine who has a PhD in psychology, and came up with this.

I've noticed, the majority of people, do not invoke strong emotion in others one way or the other. Thus, they receive the "courtesy of indifference". I'm not referring to seduction either (since attractive women always get attention), only day-to-day civilian interactions and especially the workplace.

Some people, I'd put myself in this category, even being courteous & polite with most everyone - do not seem to get along with the status quo. There's guys who try to be controversial and still can't be, others, don't even have to try.

I've attributed it to society having a need to categorize people. In the midwest, being into flashy fashion and being a straight guy is something that can actually upset the public. Essentially, because they cannot categorize how they'd like, you confuse them, thus aren't given the "courtesy of indifference" the regular guy will have.

Example, hipsters can be categorized, regardless of how odd their style is, but a truly stylish guy cannot be categorized. Essentially, the "non-conformist" hipster makes more sense to the status quo in terms of being categorized.

Casanova in his memoirs said he took the most pride in his ability "to cause contempt in others". There is something about a confident male that has always upset the public, unless it's in the grown-up boy scout sense.

Look at how many people openly hate Cristiano Ronaldo for example. There's no courtesy of indifference for him.

Thoughts?

Messages In This Thread