rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What is the point of travel?

What is the point of travel?

I just got dragged on a weeks holiday to Malta by my family. Which I didn't particularly enjoy - at least compared to staying at home and doing my own thing.

Anyway - whilst I was out there I asked my brother (who has traveled to about 30 different countries) what he enjoyed about most about his round the world trips.

He gave me a surprising succinct answer.

Daydreaming.

He explained that ultimately - when you are traveling you enter a mellow world of daydreaming where you ask questions and notice things that you would usually overlook or not be bothered about.

In that sense - traveling gives you a new way of looking at things. And makes the everyday feel fresh and new. But only in an unfocused and random way. Which doesn't really build to anything greater. It is almost as if time slows down when you enter into such a frame of mind. And you just allow yourself to get lost in the simple passage of time itself.

It is the sort of dawdling thinking which I associate with stoners.

I definitely experience some of that when I am abroad. It is like having a hangover - but without the headache (or in my case - dread and paranoia). But ultimately I would rather make more productive use of my time. I would rather read a book than spend the day daydreaming and feeling mellow.

I am not trying to start a hate thread - since I respect the fact that everyone has their own opinions. Instead - I just wanted to write the above in the hopes of hearing from others about what it is they enjoy most about traveling? Since I am genuinely curious.

I should finish by adding that with globalisation - I feel that most of Europe is pretty identical in feel these days. I am just wondering if the impact of globalisation has weakened some of the reasons people used to give for wanting to travel?

The reason I mention it - is that the 'daydreaming' state of mind is one which you will enter into in any foreign country. And as such - being abroad in any country feels remarkably similar to being abroad in a different country.

It is as if the human mind splits the world into three places - my home, my country and abroad.

Messages In This Thread