rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I turned 40 today

I turned 40 today

Quote: (06-08-2014 04:47 PM)Spede Wrote:  

Quote: (05-05-2014 08:53 PM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

A better example would be when I was in college I ended up with an art degree. I was heavily into art all my life and an art degree was something that came easy to me. The only problem was the pay sucked. Instead of just accepting terrible pay, I ended up staying for an extra year and getting a IT degree because the field was hot.

[...]

I didn't come from a top 5 school but I made the right decisions, worked hard and got paid a lot of money because of it. There was no luck involved. Oh yea, that first job got me out of the US for the first time and I partied my ass off while working.

Not to minimize your good choices and efforts, but yes, there was luck involved.
You were lucky to have been born with the capability to comprehend maths, algorithms, programming, all that stuff. You had this luxury and you are an exception. Most people with an arts degree suck at maths and they can't help it.

While I am not bad at math, I am not gifted which is one of the reasons I chose an IT degree and not a Computer Science degree.

An IT degree isn't math intensive and was within our Business School.

Again, that was a choice I made and no luck involved.

Everyone should be playing up to their strengths. To say it is luck to do that is a terrible argument. Don't get caught up in my specifics. Everyone. and I firmly believe this, has natural born strengths that can be used to make a lot of money. Unfortunately most will take the easy way out and not develop those.

Messages In This Thread