rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Homeless with 2 Masters Degrees

Homeless with 2 Masters Degrees

Certain fields of STEM curriculum jobs will inevitably begin filling up (and have) and location independence, as in any field, will be the #1 determinant, then ultimately location will matter less and less until positions are filled globally.

Choosing your field of study is akin to a long-term stock market trade. You'd better do your due diligence in that arena or you could wind up finding difficulty saddled with mad debt.

I live in the midwest and there are many, many engineers here. About half the engineers I know personally are hired into, or duped into management or supervisory positions at semi-technical companies, and either relocate far out of state across the country - OR - take work in completely unrelated fields.

Same goes for nurses, biology, medicine. Now out west is the place to be if you're going into medicine. But we're close to filling many of the nursing positions and many medical positions where I live right now.

When you have a heart regarding family, it can ruin your job potential, when you feel it necessary to stay in town due to family events. I could have a much better job and would not have experienced a few bouts of unemployment over the last 6 years if 1) My dad didn't die leaving my mom widowed, and 2) I could win in court to take my 6 yr old daughter with me, but that won't happen.

Higher Ed, barring a fair amount of STEM degrees, but not all, IMHO has become a scam. What are you really retaining? 3-7% maximum of all that schooling? Highly inefficient. Every second you don't use it after graduating, that retention % is degrading too.

What frightens me, is the amount of youth with master's/graduate degrees who still seem to lack the benchmark of standard intellect.

The one benefit of actually being a jack of all trades so to speak, is you can usually teach these folks the operational daily tasks of what most specially trained people do within a few weeks or months. However, you can't so easily train many highly specialized folks the expansive knowledge of a jack of all trades quite often.

I think if I had to re-school myself or decide to go back, it would be to be "somewhat" specialized, but not too few or too many eggs in 1 basket.

Messages In This Thread