rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Selecting a rifle scope

Selecting a rifle scope

Quote: (04-03-2014 10:42 PM)rekruler Wrote:  

I've just bought a Remington 700 chambered in .30-06 with a 24 inch barrel and am trying to figure out what optics to get for it. I don't have any specific plans as to what I'm gonna use the rifle for, I got it because I think guns are awesome and the concept of being able to kill shit from a kilometer away is hella cool. I don't want anything too crappy but I also would prefer to stay under $500 if possible. Any recommendations for a scope that's <$500, has MOA markings in the crosshairs, adjustments for at least 1000 yards and 10+ magnification? Or is that unrealistic at that price point for new glass?

I do not think that the price point is unrealistic. I think that your goals are a bit unrealistic. Adjustments for at least 1000 yards? Very few people have a 1000 capability without years of knowledge and practice.

My father was a great shot back in the day. He routinely killed woodchucks up to 500 and 600 yards. He hand loaded his own ammo and glass-bedded his own rifles. Are you doing that?

Very few people use 10-power-plus magnification. Remember that you sacrifice field-of-vision for power. That is a mistake that many new hunters make. They lose the ability to quickly find their target with a high-power scope. My father always used a 1.5 to 4 power scope and he bagged several deer every year.

You can pick up a decent 3-9 power scope for less than $100. If shooting becomes a real sport for you, you can always invest more money later. If you really want that type of accuracy, you will need to invest in hand loading equipment well before you need a $500 scope.

Have fun. Shooting is a great sport. It teaches patience and discipline. [Image: smile.gif]

Messages In This Thread