rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Getting a job in Asia?

Getting a job in Asia?

So basically: get work experience in the US, then go to China and look for jobs in that industry? Sending me over there doesn't seem like it should be an issue for a company since I can get my own apartment, visa, etc. (I've done it all myself before.)

I did meet people in China, but most were either other foreign students, English teacher types, or girls I hooked up with, none of whom were particularly valuable as far as connections go. One of the girls did introduce me to some guy who was setting up a hedge fund in Jiaxing, he offered me something where they would teach me to trade with my own money and then if I did well, they could offer me a paid job managing other people's money, but it sounded like a pretty screwy situation. I met a few professionals and business owners (both expats and Chinese), including one big shot American investor, but nothing came out of any of that either.

Like I said, social networking ability is not one of my natural strengths. People talk about "networking" but I am not sure exactly what people do, in concrete terms, to acquire the social connections they need to get jobs. Obviously you need to meet people who are pretty far up the hierarchy for them to be very useful and that strikes me as being difficult to do, starting from a low position.

I looked at the links... most of it is just stuff about what it's like to live overseas or how to get jobs teaching English, which is not that helpful really in my case.

Messages In This Thread