rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is there any merit to the anti-vaccine movement?

Is there any merit to the anti-vaccine movement?

Quote:Quote:

Eschewing the silly analogy, the arguments here are really just missing their underlying assumptions:

1.) Jenny McCarthy says vaccines cause autism.
2.) Jenny McCarthy is an idiot.
3.) Decades of medical research and empirical testing have shown no link between vaccines and autism, and exceedingly minor negative effects on a population level from vaccines in general.
4.) Did I mention Jenny McCarthy is a used-up semen receptacle?
5.) Vaccines are pretty goddamn safe.

And this is exactly what I was talking about: your chain of logic is fatally flawed. Jenny McCarthy may or may not be a used up semen receptacle (I know nothing about her beyond the name, that she doesn't like vaccines, and that I think she was a playboy playmate?) But her status as a semen receptacle has nothing to do with the safety of vaccines.

More to the point is your third item. You can't talk about "vaccines" as if they were all the same. Read the item I linked about the Swine Flu vaccine; that certainly wasn't safe. There are lots of vaccines out there, and some of them you should take, and some of them you might not need. And more importantly, not everybody taking them is the same. What's smart for you might not be smart for somebody else.

Look at this quote from Osiris to see what I mean.
Quote:Quote:

3 - Not all reactions to vaccines are nightmarish. I got vaccinated for rabies back in 2007 because I was going to be doing research in a place where it was a serious risk... I'd go on to be bitten by a stray dog during the course of my research and didn't have to worry quite as much as to whether or not I'd contracted a fatal disease from it.

This was a smart thing to do. There was a risk from taking the vaccine, there was a risk from not taking it, and Osiris decided which risk he preferred. And it paid off, too. Does that mean it makes sense to get the flu vaccine, when it's been proven mostly ineffective (Reference Thomas's post on the first page)? Of course not.

Messages In This Thread