rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What kind of meds or supplements so you take when you have the cold/flu?

What kind of meds or supplements so you take when you have the cold/flu?

Quote: (09-15-2014 10:56 PM)slubu Wrote:  

Quote: (03-10-2014 10:39 PM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

Quote: (03-09-2014 03:22 PM)slubu Wrote:  

Any thoughts on how to get rid of the cough that persists after a cold?

Happens to me all the time.

Nebulised salt water/saline inhalations 2-3 times a day always sorts it out. Might take 3 days or so to completely go away.

Unfortunately can't get my hands on this Nebuliser thing. Any other suggestions? Got a cold, that's gone and now the cough won't go away again. Happens to me every damn time.

The nebuliser (or nebulizer in North America) works well, but you can try the old fashioned method, which is to put your head over a pot of steaming water (try not to make it too hot) and then put a towel over your head. I used to do that but the heat was irritating and sometimes made my cough worse.

Some of my patients insist on taking asthma medication for the cough. If it works for them, I don't see why not. I generally give a salbutamol/ipratroprium bromide combination pump to use as necessary or a 7 day course of montelukast tablets. You might be able to get the pump without a prescription, depending on your local regulations - speak to your pharmacist. If you get the pump, watch a couple of youtube videos on the technique of using it so that you know you're doing it right.

Another option is to take a cough suppressant, although this always seemed to drag out the coughing over a longer time span for myself. Your pharmacist can probably give you something over the counter.

Messages In This Thread