rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Uganda's New Anti-Gay Law signed by President

Uganda's New Anti-Gay Law signed by President

Quote:Quote:

Uganda's leader has signed into law a bill toughening penalties for gay people but without a clause criminalising those who do not report them.

It includes life sentences for gay sex and same-sex marriage, but a proposed sentence of up to 14 years for first-time offenders has been removed.

US President Barack Obama had cautioned the bill would be a backward step.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-26320102

OK. First off, considering what I know about it already, if I investigated further I very much doubt I would support this Ugandan bill. I'd be more likely to support something like the Russian bill that people in the West have intentionally misrepresented as being "anti-gay". But this post isn't about me.

It's fascinating, but not unexpected, that some of the strongest push-back against the current malaise that is Western Liberalism (Liberal in name but not practice IMO) comes from the 3rd world, especially Africa. It looks like the world is on a collision course, with many Western nations obsessed with nonsense like the minutia of gay and gender issues that really have no practical effect on the world aside from riling people up for purposes of electoral benefit (Political masturbation, if you will), and the rest of the world who want nothing to do with that noise. Or at least if they do, they are on the other side...

A lot of people have noted that there is very little to no acceptance of "out" homosexuality in Africa. "Anti gay" laws are an easy domestic political win for people like Musuveni, since he can project himself as someone who protects his people from the corrupt West/Imperialists.

My question to the board members, and I have to say especially black Americans, is this: What are your thoughts on the fact that the left in the West, especially America, pretty much takes for granted that you are on-board with whatever social cause they have decided to make the "cause du jour"? My experience in Africa itself is that a lot of black people are very socially conservative, and their values/reality would not be even remotely served by left leaning Western political parties and organisations. In the US this is obviously true for many people as well.

Messages In This Thread