rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is there a point of diminishing returns for strength training?

Many programs focus around strength training, such as starting strength and strong lifts, among many others.

I like the idea of having to build a 'base' of strength before you focus on other things, such as training for hypertrophy rather than strength itself.

I've been doing what's more similar to strength training for a little while now, after first starting with programs such as SS. I like that I developed I decent base of strength, and I am happy with my lifts when considering my body weight.

Sure, I can keep adding weight to my lifts, at this point more slowly, but I can still reach that #300 squat I've been so close to and try to eventually deadlift #400, which might take me another year or so if I really focused on it.

What is the point? If one does not have any intention of powerlifting that is.

My training in a sentence is focused around giving me a powerful body. A decent strength base, more focused around functional strength overall, aesthetic purposes, and overall body health.

I'm starting to think I might deload a bit on the heavy weights, and do singles only occasionally, and focus more on some other training factors rather than just low rep, heavy weight. Maybe more towards slower repetitions, less rest, a couple more sets, some 1 1/3 reps and such.

Also another concern I have towards the heavy weights - is this really sustainable long term? Sure you could argue that it's about building strong stabilizers overtime that would adapt your body, but squatting and deadlifting very heavy for years can take a toll on your body for the worst eventually, right? I'm coming to assumptions as of course I don't have many years experience with strength training.

I know there's many guys on here that do strength training and have insanely high lifts after spending years on the skill.

What are your experiences with this?

Messages In This Thread