rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Roosh V Neck and Back Pain Thread

The Roosh V Neck and Back Pain Thread

Quote: (01-22-2014 08:52 AM)Teedub Wrote:  

So basically, I'm far from needing surgery then! I still don't understand how stretching the nerve will help...if the disc is touching it then that's what the problem is right? Not that I won't follow your exercise plan though, I intend to!

Sorry for asking too many questions!

Hey,

Don’t worry about the questions….they’re good ones! The explanation of “sensitive neural tissue” is not as straightforward as if you sprained a ligament or tore a muscle. In fact, research has been really prolific in this area in the last 10 years and physios and doctors are still fumbling over new words to properly explain it- sometimes it’s because they don’t have a great grasp of it either. Like I said, we used to think it was about “stretching” nerves… now we know better, and we talk about “reducing sensitivity”. That’s probably the biggest concept to understand.

Just think of it as: you inured your disc/ back in Sept 2012. Since then there has been short instances of pins and needles in the leg, and referred pain, these are hints of nerve irritation but in your history and tests, nothing obviously points to nerve damage. However, all this time, that nerve tissue that passes by the disc area has not been able to move properly as a result of pain, the disc slightly irritating the nerve, changing the way you move your back when you’re in pain,…etc. As a protective reaction to stop the nerve irritation, your hamstrings tighten up, and that limits movement in the area even further.

So, to reduce the irritation/ sensitivity of the nerve tissue in that area more long term, you have to get that nerve moving like it used to. Hence, gentle exercises that specifically promote nerve movement without “stretching “ and irritating it. Over time, the nerve will gain back more normal mobility, and your hamstrings will get used to the new movement instead of tightening up every time the nerve moves a bit.

Hope that helps, there are many different analogies people use these days to explain the nervous system and the body’s reaction. It’s not the way we’re used to thinking about muscles or ligaments. I think it will keep making more sense as you go through the rehab.

Thanks for your keen questions! Now do your darn exercise!
The Proph team

If you're not growing, you're dying.

Messages In This Thread