rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

About to Finish College...Advice on how to kickstart an awesome lifestyle for my 20's

About to Finish College...Advice on how to kickstart an awesome lifestyle for my 20's

Again, thanks everyone for your input! I feel like the major considerations have already been well addressed, but I'll add in my reflections for the purpose of approaching some sort of closure.

On youngmobileglobal's advice to launch into entrepreneurship straight out of college:

Despite my parents' belief that anyone who doesn't get a nice 9-5 job out of college or go to med school is going to end up homeless one day, I understand that the worst case scenario really isn't that terrible. I can probably leverage my math/programming abilities and degree to land some sort of decent job, no matter how badly I fail in entrepreneurship.

The honest truth is, I've never had to deal with failure in a significant degree, so this route scares me more than it should. I've never experienced what it's like to be short on money. I've always chosen my college classes based on, "What can I get an easy A in?" rather than "What will push me to grow and struggle and learn?" I approach 6's more than 9.5's because with the 6's I know I'll get a good reaction.

Entrepreneurship is the HB 9.5 and the corporate job is the 6. I know I'll score with the 6, and I have approach anxiety with the 9.5 because she's way harder to get. But the sex with the 9.5 would feel WAYYYY better [Image: banana.gif].

Quote:Quote:

The risk in your case is that you wind up doing 'OK,' i.e. earning a decent living as an actuary, without ever trying your hand at something bigger.

Frost hit it spot on...it's awful how much my risk-averse upbringing has deterred me from 'shooting for the stars'.

Anyway ridiculous analogies aside, I figure this will be my tentative plan for the near future:

1) Spring 2014: Begin learning PPC or some business that can generate location-independent income. Make consistent progress and goal is to make decent positive income by the time I graduate in a year.

2) Summer 2014: Do actuarial internship to get a taste of corporate life. Continue building business which I will have plenty of time for since I won't have schoolwork.

3) Fall 2014: Recruit with companies (recruiting season is early fall for some reason). Get full-time offer and push starting date to summer 2015. Graduate in December.

4) Spring 2015: Travel for several months (SE Asia or South America) while continuing to work on business. If my business takes off then I can put a hold on the corporate world and pursue that. If not, I have a corporate job to fall back on and I can continue doing my own thing on the side until I'm ready to launch into it full-time. In the actuarial job market, entry-level jobs are by far the most difficult to come by, but once I have 1-2 years of job experience I think job security is almost guaranteed. So this is why I'd like to lock down entry-level work and do it for at least a little while.

Who knows what might come up in the near future, but this seems to me like a plan that covers the bases.

Alright, off to be be a completely shameless hedonist for the night.

Messages In This Thread