rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

1 Year Drinking Wagon Challenge for 2014
Year Drinking Wagon Challenge for 2014
Okay, I'm in.

I've have posted a couple times on this topic of boozin' and I can relate to some of the experiences I've read. It seems a number of guys here have been hard drinkers through their teens and twenties and can still generally keep composure while consuming massive amounts of booze, but upon entering their thirties they start to question the value of this practice. I am also that guy.

I love drinking. I love it so much. My true passions in life are girls, money and surfing, but I would give up all three if I could hang around and drink beer all day. The problem is that my love of booze is too strong and it gets in the way of those other things. For years I have tried to drink only moderately, but inevitably my desire to drink too much overpowers my desire to restrain my drinking, over and over and over again.

I am certain that I have had fewer lays by cockblocking myself with booze than I would have had if I didn't drink so much. I've often used the satisfaction of drunkenness as a substitute for the satisfaction of getting laid. Going out and having some drinks can certainly help, but if I judge myself by my own track record then I have to accept that my tendency to drink hard has resulted in fewer lays over time than would have occurred if I have been more focused my getting laid and less focused on drinking. Yes, being the drunk fun guy and even the drunk angry fighting guy has resulted in lays because girls can be attracted to the fun and the drama. But I have had a tendency to rely on that to create attraction, and I would have gotten laid more over the past ten years if I had been creating attraction actively through direct interaction rather than passively by creating a scene for girls to observe and occasionally gravitate towards. It's like the difference between spear fishing and casting from the shore.

And I cringe when I think back on the number of days with good surfing conditions that I missed because I was hungover and lazy.

In terms of money, it's not so much spending money on booze but the blunting affect that consistent drinking has on my appetite for more cash that has held me back. I get such a nice surface level satisfaction from a good wine/beer/gin/whiskey buzz that I become far less motivated to aggressively seek the things that give me a deeper satisfaction, which are getting laid, getting barreled and getting paid.

I'm also rather bored of drinking, in spite of my love for it. I am so intimately familiar with it that there is no mystery left. There is still room to explore and have new experiences in those other three passions. And as I am now in my early thirties, I have to admit that I have less energy to spend on drinking hard if I want to pursue those other things to the extent that I want to pursue them.

I don't want to proclaim that I will never drink again, but I do want to experiment with this year of sobriety and actively push that newly freed energy into more productive pursuits.

Messages In This Thread