rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Why obesity is not your doctor’s problem.

Why obesity is not your doctor’s problem.

Quote: (11-30-2013 11:38 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Quote: (11-30-2013 10:46 PM)Tytalus Wrote:  

One thing that got me when I went to Fiji was how thin everyone was. After a while when I found out of the relative cost of eating to incomes... It was pretty obvious. People were too poor to get fat. (Except for old Native Fijian women, holy shit.)

I know government isn't the best solution to everything... But some days, you gotta wonder, if they banned processed foods, would people get thinner? i.e. They only sold meat, tubers & vegetables, & eggs.

No dairy, no grains. It would basically be a forced paleo diet on the population. Thoughts?

In some neighborhoods, Bed-Stuy BK for instance, it can be cheaper to eat out than to eat at home, especially for families that don't have a recent immigrant background. Lotta folks don't know how to make some Rice and Peas and turn 2.00 into a meal for 4 people.

Forced Paleo might not work, but forcing people to turn on their stoves for 90% of their meals, would thin the majority of the populace imo.

When I go through my cooking spells

1. Smaller Portions - I buy stuff at the grocery store and make non-restaurant size portions. I'll buy a 12oz steak, throw it on the grill, slice it up, and eat only half of it. At the steakhouse, i'll put down 20 ounces on a good night. It's right in front of me, and i've been taught to not waste food.

2. The worst foods take a lot of effort - french fries, tortillas, naan - i've tried making all of them joints at home - every last one of em is more work than you realize. Fucking fries...the amount of oil you need to fry, the smell, and the amount you dispose - that's at best a once a month kinda thing.

And if you could only eat sweets that you made from scratch, and live a normal life, your daily sugar intake would plummet. I can whip up a batch of cookies in an hour, but it's more work than i'm used to. Same with ice cream. Pies are a bitch to make from scratch, unless that's your sorta thing. You can run down the line of sweets and baked goods and be like, naw, only on a special occasion, especially if you don't own stand mixer.

Eliminating the worst foods because of effort, and portion control from basic cooking would probably get us back to pre-feminism levels of obesity.

Oh wait, hmm pre-feminism...
- when women cooked - people were skinnier
- when women focused on child care - less ADHD, autism, kids acting up
- when women weren't in the workforce in large numbers - more jobs for able bodied men who were more than willing to sacrifice the good parts of their days to support a family

can't be a connection can there...

WIA

I find it abhorrent people think it is cheaper to eat out than it is to eat in. I can do a weeks worth of meals for around $110. That is a solid 7 days of 3 square meals with left overs.

If I was really cutting corners, I could cut that easily down to $60-70 if I removed the meat and used cheaper cuts.

It really comes down to laziness. Pure and simple. I have no sympathy for the over weight.

Messages In This Thread