rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What Should The Purpose Of The Educational System Be?

What Should The Purpose Of The Educational System Be?

[Image: Teaching_Bucharest_1842.jpg]

As you may or may not be aware, but I have been undertaking a careful reading of "The Culture Of Narcissism." I have set the book aside to peruse lighter fare, but I returned last night as I watching the eminently boring MNF game.

He has a very intriguing chapter about the degradation of the American educational system.

What should the end goal be for students in a school system? Should the emphasis be on tailoring curriculum to prepare students for the workforce? Should the emphasis be on concrete academic subjects - classic "reading, writing and 'rithmetic?"

Current approaches seem to reinforce class distinctions. Personally, I was labeled very immature and most teachers never saw much potential in me. A few teachers -- mostly over writing, creativity & intelligence -- helped me along. I recall my senior adviser literally laughing in my face about being a good writer -- she told me to never think the thought, as I clearly wasn't cut out to be a good writer.

However, that isn't half the story. I specifically mentioned class distinctions because perceptions of student competence and potential will invariably be caught up in the wealth of the student's family and family's relation to the school. I went to a mindbogglingly small high school - less than 150 in the entire school, so there was no anonymity and your parent's reputation preceded you. I had a good friend who was clearly a genius but was poor and was born to a single mother who clearly was known for being a "good time." Even at sixth grade, the teachers and system had given up on him -- assuming they ever believed in him at all.

Personally, my mother was pretty much hated and that affected my treatment. This isn't to say I was mistreated, but the more "cliquish" teachers (female) maintained their distance. I notice this much more in younger grades. Maybe teachers -- without proper distance -- start to behave like their kids? I don't know, youthful immaturity could rub off on anybody if they are around it too much.

Still, what should the ultimate goals be? As much as I love creative pursuits, I think the emphasis should be on concrete academic subjects.

I don't like how schools have usurped family roles. A point that Lasch repeatedly makes throughout the book is that the family has been dis-empowered and rendered disoriented because of "experts" in media/government. Here, that would be teachers -- and most importantly -- school administrators (not the teachers, but the bureaucracy). I won't talk more about this, because I could make a whole post on it.

Enough for me. What are your thoughts? Properly done, what should our educational system be about or produce as graduates?

Quote:Old Chinese Man Wrote:  
why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

Messages In This Thread