rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

"Let's Talk About Thin Privilege"

"Let's Talk About Thin Privilege"

The use of the word "privilege" is inappropriate. Being white does not come with privilege. There are plenty of white people who barely have the basic requirements of survival. Being white doesn't even guarantee you survival, because even white people have died untimely deaths due to lack of ability to afford proper nutrition, medical care, etc.

If you are not white, you might be disadvantaged due to the effects of racism. This does not mean that simply being white gives you an advantage. Some white people are privileged (those born rich, etc), but not all white people have privilege, since some are barely clinging to basic survival. Therefore, there is no such thing as white privilege.

As an example, a black man might be stopped by police just for walking down the road carrying a TV. A white man in the same circumstances might not be stopped. Does this mean that the white man is privileged? No, it just means that the black man is disadvantaged. The black man might have a harder time succeeding, but this does not mean that the white man therefore has an easier time succeeding.

You could make the argument that a white man has a relative gain because the black man is kept down. But this only means something if the relative gain is significant enough to lift the white man up to some sort of privileged status. Since the majority of white people in America live paycheck to paycheck anyway (correct me if I'm wrong), this isn't privilege. It's just the ability to survive. That isn't a privilege.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Messages In This Thread