rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Want to get strong? get a home pull-up bar

Want to get strong? get a home pull-up bar

Quote: (11-04-2013 09:15 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

MikeCF, who said anything about "functional strength"? And who said anything about "kipping pullups"?

Here's what I wrote in the OP:

Quote:Quote:

There is no better exercise for developing a strong and proportional upper body than strict straight bar pull-ups done with perfect form. That is:

-- completely locked out at the bottom
-- going up as as high above the bar as you can
-- moving up and down in one plane instead of swinging your body for momentum

From what I've observed I think it's also under-utilized because when done correctly it get very hard very quickly. I see a lot more guys in the gym duly and dully curling dumbbells than I see doing strict pullups, that's for sure.

I'm with you 100%. Strict-form pullups are a rare sight these days. I personally started at 2 and now max out at 23. My body has gone through a dramatic change over the last 2 years and I strongly believe that pullups helped me get there. The only thing I would disagree with you on is "going up as high above the bar as you can." No need for that. Just make sure your chin clears the bar. Any higher and it's overkill.

Messages In This Thread