rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Family business

Family business

Quote: (11-02-2013 11:00 AM)DVY Wrote:  

Wish I could give you more answers, but its on YOU. The only thing I caution you against is making an irrevocable decision and spending too much time out of your core competencies, aka jumping from job to job.

Sounds glamorous to "grind" and start from the bottom, but its a huge slog.

As for myself, I am in a position of "golden handcuffs". Ill make a good salary, but I am landlocked to 1 city. I've made the decision to ride it out for a few years, then re-evaluate. Nothing wrong w/having a money buffer. =).

Thank you and the others for the input. Currently I'm expecting to finish my undergrad this year, so I'm in a phase of planning the years to come right now. I'm inspired by this piece of writing:

Quote:Quote:

Let 1,000 young men, at the age of 30 years, enter into business with a given amount of capital, all acquired by their own hard earnings, and let them pursue their business 30 years faithfully; that is, till they are 60 years of age. Let 1,000 others commence at the age of 20, with three times the amount of capital possessed by the former, but at the same time either inherited, or loaned by their friends, and let them pursue their calling till they are 60 years of age; or for a period of 40 years. We will suppose the natural talents, capacity for doing business, and expenditures—in fact every thing,—the same, in both cases. Now it requires no gift of prophecy to foretell, with certainty, that at 60 years of age a far greater proportion of the 1,000, who began at 30 and depended solely on their own exertions, will be men of wealth, than of those who began at 20 with three times their capital. The reason of these results is found in the very nature of things, as I have shown both above, and in my remarks on industry.
But these views are borne out by facts. Go into any city in the United States, and learn the history of the men who are engaged in active and profitable business, and are thriving in the world, and my word for it, you will find the far greater part began life with nothing, and have had no resources whatever but their own head and hands. And in no city is this fact more strikingly verified than in Boston. On the other hand, if you make a list of those who fail in business from year to year, and learn their history, you will find that a very large proportion of them relied on inheritances, credit, or some kind of foreign aid in early life;—and not a few begun very young.

As such, I don't believe that (although I started off a bit and quite like the concept) I should spend my twenties on building 'bullshit businesses' when I have all the opportunity to spend the next years with college, internships and meeting people, making friends fucking girls and travelling.
In a lot of forums college is bashed: but for me, my parents will pay everything and debt or USA-like tuition fees are no concern at all. I think it would be better to get some degree in Real Estate and internships via family connections (not within the family).
Lot of people say here 'college is a waste of time' and everything but for me it is a nice institution now. Doesn't necessarily brainwash me into a worker drone -or does it?

I prefer to go on exchange programs and switch within studying local and abroad the coming years, get some interships here and there.

and, DVY, for your point: nearly dead-end jobs and core competencies: Maybe a 'dead end job' within a firm for a year or two and a half should perhaps be part of my education. Would not be something I like the most in my life, but gives me a lot of credit within the family and legitimation for myself regarding my foundation of knowledge. I believe you should 'earn' your way into a family business: could be with building a business or study and quite a bit of work. But like the piece of writing from the books says: Better to start business when I can take care of myself. and it might be true, but it might not.

Regarding this thread, I am just hoping for some fresh perspective because I feel a little bit overwhelmed in this phase of lots of decision making.

Last but not least: I don't dig being an employee... Not so much of a competitor but more in the firms that provide services that my relevant company uses or something.. Perhaps I could start my own business after I did my one or two year 'educational working' because I don't depend on money from the employer, and that is what puts me apart from most other people. You could call me a trust fund kid...

I like buying and selling stuff, but I see those 60 year old 'hustlers' everywhere and thats not what I want with my life does sound like wasting my opportunities

Messages In This Thread