rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Computer programming lounge

Computer programming lounge

Quote: (01-28-2016 08:18 AM)AntiTrace Wrote:  

They can write loops and if/else statements all day, the problem is they lack critical thinking and problem solving skills. Many are used to the peer programming environment, where they are told what to write by another programmer. A writer doesn't learn how to write a novel by just typing what is told to him, and a programmer doesn't learn to program that way either.

I also think the typical assignments are too generic and, like you mentioned, easily copied from stack overflow or a quick google search.

That's why I always recommend people do their own projects to learn. That's how they will learn those problem solving and critical thinking skills. A person that sits down and slugs through a simple calculator app will learn more about programming than 2 years of college level education at most institutions.

Alright, put like that it makes perfect sense. Most people are happier being followers or taking orders than being the ones who have to find solutions and make decisions. I suppose I just always assumed programmers had some responsibility for solving their own problems even as cogs in a larger machine.

I'm not sure why I thought that. Even many of the engineers I know are pretty crap at problem solving without someone holding their hand. Scary, really.

Messages In This Thread