rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Computer programming lounge

Computer programming lounge

Quote: (01-26-2016 06:17 PM)Wutang Wrote:  

Quote: (01-23-2016 08:34 AM)AntiTrace Wrote:  

Also: for those thinking programming , just get out there and do it. Think of your own projects and go from there.

Most college graduates can't program there way out of a paper bag. They know how to apply the basics of many programming languages to simple sricpts or quick jobs, but if they were told go solo on a new project they would fail miserably. The simple fact that the fizz buzz tests exists shows you this. And yes, I know many college seniors that would struggle with fizzbuzz, when it should take a marginally competent programmer less than 5 minutes to complete.

Focus on a language or stack, put some effort into your own project, and you will be on par or better than your average college graduate in about a year.

I had an interview once where I had to make a function that would solve the first problem on projecteuler.net which is simply to find the sum of all numbers below 1000 that are a multiple of either 3 or 5. It's pretty simple so I finished it quick. The guy interviewing me said that the previous 10 people he had interviewed couldn't do this. One guy even snuck out of the office before he came back to check on him presumably out of embarrassment.

Yeah that problem is very similar to fizz buzz in terms of logic as well. When learning. New language, the first thing I do is fizz buzz, then I do some project Euler problems. Once I'm comfortable with that I'll do a simple file scanner and then simple sorting algorithms (binary sort, insertion sort). Or I'll combine then, read a file with a list of names, sort it alphabetically, and write the results to a new file.

I wish I was better with GUIs though. I've made some cool little projects with arduinos lately but want a GUI a user can use to control the machines instead of it running off certain commands from switches and button presses.

That or 2d gaming, I started 2d game development a few weeks back but got swamped with other stuff. For the little time I spent on it, it seems like it might the best bang for the buck for intermediate programmers in terms of practicing the language. It combines multiple libraries, OOP, and more than enough logical work to impress an interviewer for an entry level position

God'll prolly have me on some real strict shit
No sleeping all day, no getting my dick licked

The Original Emotional Alpha

Messages In This Thread