rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Computer programming lounge

Computer programming lounge

Quote: (01-25-2016 10:47 AM)evilhei Wrote:  

Quote: (01-25-2016 10:42 AM)arafat scarf Wrote:  

I'll jump in here:

I do freelance and work part-time as a front-end development instructor, and I would say that I have a very high level of HTML/CSS and strong JS skills (probably a purple belt at this point).

PROTIP: for those here who are dropping code examples in the posts, don't sleep on the code-markup which you can insert with the hash-tag button from the top-right corner of the post's text field editor. It makes the code much easier to format and read:

Code:
Code:
girls.forEach(function(g){
  g.pumpAndDump();
});

Good to know.

So what is your take on the new front end frameworks. Which will be the new hot one for the next year or two? Is it Angular or React? I personally like to use Handlebars and their template system for front end stuff.

I haven't messed much with Angular, but from the local community -- and from my experience -- React is gonna come out on top of this one.

Pros
  • Virtual DOM is FAST...major performance advantage from only updating the DOM where it needs to be updated (instead of a re-rendering)
  • Easy to manage subviews through their nesting of subcomponents and useful 'hooks' which allow you to control application behavior based on a view component's life cycle
  • Framework marks a distinct separation of application-state and data (via `props`)
  • Data flows one-way through your application, from View-Controller down to child components
  • Unopinionated wrt application data-model. There is only a 'React way' insofar as creating view-components with their virtual DOM
  • Extendable & modular with optional components like react-router and flux (when you need to manage application complex state)
  • React on the server allows isophormic, server-side HTML rendering which gives a performance boost and enhances SEO

Cons
  • can be difficult to debug
  • tethers HTML and even CSS syntax in js -- some argue that these should be separate concerns
  • forces you into using an abstraction JSX (the hybrid Javascript and HTML markup)
  • by relegating your app to React's virtual DOM, you turnover control of the real DOM which can have unintended consequences in your app (dealing with input fields / forms / certain user interactions like draggables)
On balance, the winds seem to be favoring React though I can't imagine Angular disappearing.

edited for formatting

Messages In This Thread