rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Yoga & Martial Arts

Yoga & Martial Arts

Quote: (11-13-2013 10:43 AM)Tail Gunner Wrote:  

I can also tell you that to advance to the upper levels of Krav Maga, you must fight not only other Krav Maga instructors but also instructors from other martial arts disciplines. The testing can last for several days and involves full-on full-contact fighting.

No, it doesn't.

However, Krauser's already addressed such objections in a reply to such a comment on his blog. Think he sums it up pretty well:

"I think all you Krav Maga nuts miss the point of Dead/Alive. When you teach deadly techniques with weapons you simply cannot practice with the regularity and intensity to become genuinely good at those techniques. You also don't get a genuine experimental environment where techniques are refined or thrown out. There's no way at all that the top Krav Maga guys are as good at their art as the top judoka / boxers / wrestlers etc are at theirs. I've seen a few Krav Maga classes and coaches and my experience has been they teach it like ninjutsu / aikido. Just a bunch of skinny gammas doing three-step sparring and awarding themselves pointless belts. No actual fighting or pressure testing. It's a Paper Dragons Club.

The other thing with KM is it teaches you to fight guys with no skill, with one guy in the role of dumb attacker and the other as skilled defender. This is a classical martial arts conceit, just like the slow-motion-right-hand-puncher you get in aikido. Alive martial arts have two equal combatants striving to win. Now, I'll grant that some KM guys somewhere will gear-up and have-to with vim and gusto. Those guys will do ok. And comparing that training regime to not training at all, I'd pick the former. Might as well have some weapones trainer. I'd still pick a good judoka or boxer over them in a bar fight. Perhaps KM isn't worthless, its above Dim Mak and Wing-Chun, but its 2nd tier compared to the truly alive arts. And BTW "scary" means nothing. Knocking someone out with a right hand on the jaw renders them utterly defenseless. If you're truly sadistic you can still gouge their eyes out and stamp on their bollocks afterwards, rather than trying to do it when they are still an active threat.

This is the kind of Krav Maga instruction I've seen. Totally bullshit. Attacker does ridiculous telegraphed moved and then just stands there to receive a barrage of sloppy unfocused weak blows before falling over obediently".

Messages In This Thread