rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Move From Baltimore to Austin (but work for Sandberg wannabe)

Move From Baltimore to Austin (but work for Sandberg wannabe)

This doesn't fit neatly in any of the other categories so I'm sticking in EE. I'm currently in Baltimore have a job offer in Austin from a really good company in my industry, decent bump in salary with re-lo expenses covered. Here's the kicker though: my direct supervisor would be a chick, and I saw the copy of "lean in" on her desk.

I felt "off" during the interview with her than I did with anyone else (met with 4 others, all the rest dudes). It wasn't terrible, but rapport was off compared with everyone else I talked to including her boss the VP. From what I gathered it does appear like I would have a fair amount of autonomy in the position and she would be my direct supervisor mostly in name...but hard to say precisely. It sucks because this company is solid, and I know I would learn a shitload there to apply to my own business/consulting projects.

I'm in the running for another job in Baltimore the company is not as good as Austin, but not bad either. My boss would be a man, a VP, so I'd be higher up the chain. There was a definite meeting of minds in our interview - he responded extremely positively to my ideas and I liked what he had to say. I'm highly confident I would do well working with him. I have not received an offer yet from Baltimore company, final interview is next week.

Lifestyle wise, though it's certainly not poosy paradise, it's fair to say Austin would be an solid upgrade from Baltimore. I'm not looking forward to another winter here, or the girls packing on their winter 15 lbs (more clothes to cover flab, taco time!). The company would be a great opportunity to expand and develop skill sets in my industry. It wasn't a horrible interview, but I just getting bad vibes from this chick.

At the present time I'm leaning with sticking it out in Baltimore and continuing to work on my side business to become location independent. But I appreciate thoughts any others might have.

Messages In This Thread