rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Conversation for dummies

Conversation for dummies

Quote: (09-14-2013 05:33 AM)JayJuanGee Wrote:  

Quote: (09-13-2013 05:27 AM)gandt Wrote:  

Conversational mapping is a technique used to expand upon what someone has said to improve your skills in extending and carrying conversations. Practicing this on lines that have come up when speaking to anyone, target or not, will help you expand on your communication abilities. ...........

Thanks for the framework, Gandt.

I think that once we have a few ideas, like you outlined, then it comes down to practice and figuring out whether we are able to keep the momentum of the conversation or not in the situations that come up - b/c sometimes, in theory, I understand what i should do i order to keep a conversation, but I cannot bring myself to do it in some circumstances or the conversation goes in a certain direction that leaves me with the ball and I drop it (when i had an opportunity to put the ball back in her court). Sometimes, later, on reflection, i will realize that i dropped the ball.

Another thing that might be useful for you to practice is becoming comfortable with silence.

Sometimes in conversations (not necessarily the first meeting) I like to take my time delivering responses. Ponder about things she says to me before saying something back to her. It shows that you are comfortable with the situation and don't need to fill the conversation with "noise" just to keep it flowing.

One of my best friends works as a lawyer and speaks this way. Often when I speak to him on the phone is seems as though we got disconnected. He is probably one of the best speakers and most captivating people I've met.

Messages In This Thread