rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Making Homemade Hummus

Making Homemade Hummus

Not sure how many of you guys like hummus, but it's pretty good and easy to make. Seems to be increasingly popular as well. Easy snack to have with veggies or chips and when drinking.

People all across the Middle East and Mediterranean make their own hummus everyday in their kitchens. Yet you'll find in the west that most supermarkets charge a few dollars for a small container of hummus when you can make even more yourself at a fraction of the price.

Though chick peas/garbanzo beans (legumes) aren't paleo, they are nutritious as are the other ingredients used to make hummus, especially tahini (sesame seed butter). You can get tahini in many stores but I personally go to a unique hole in the wall near where I live that specializes in products from the Levant.

Tahini is the most crucial ingredient because that's what gives the hummus it's smooth and creamy texture.

So here's what you'll need to make your own hummus:

*Tahini
* Chick peas/Garbanzo beans
*Lemon or Lemon juice
*Garlic cloves or garlic already minced
*Olive oil
*Salt
*Ground cumin

You'll also need a blender or food processor. I use magic bullet, which is the same thing I use to make protein smoothies.

Now the steps:

*Pour 1/4 cup of tahini into the blender as well as the same amount of lemon juice (or squeeze half a lemon but take out the seeds).

Blend for 1-2 mins

Use a spoon to stir and combine everything.

*Add two tablespoons of olive oil into the blender.
*Mince a garlic clove very finely or just add a spoonful of minced garlic

Blend for 1-2mins

Add a dash of salt and a teaspoon of ground cumin into the blender

Open a can of chick peas but don't drain the water in the can. Carefully pour the water in a separate cup and put half the chick peas in the blender with half the water.

* Blend for 1-2 mins

Use a spoon to stir and combine everything quickly.

*Add the rest of the chick peas and blend.

If it's not as smooth as you like, then add more of the remaining water from the can according to your preferences.

You can also have different flavored hummus by adding, for example, red chili pepper, basil pesto, etc.

You can also check out videos on youtube if you need visual help.

Messages In This Thread