rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What is the hardest book you've ever read?

What is the hardest book you've ever read?

Quote: (09-06-2013 06:05 PM)LEMONed IScream Wrote:  

Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Nietzsche.

OH MY GOD! Only by reading it you can understand what I mean...

Agreed - one I was going to add. I finished it though and was glad I did (for the two sentences I understood - they were mind blowing! ; )

Quote:Quote:

Also catch 22. fuck that book.

Yeah - I have tried to read it several times. It's easy to read, and well written but for some reason, I keep wanting to stop reading it, it's fucking annoying and repetitive.

Quote: (09-07-2013 10:53 AM)cardguy Wrote:  

I will stick with a hard book if it is worthwhile and informative.

But if I suspect bullshit - I will just put it down.

Pleasure is an important part of why I read. And if a book is not pleasurable - it better be giving me information that I really want or need.

Agreed - I used to have a policy of "if I started it, I'll finish it" but not now. After reading "Bad Wisdom" by Bill Drummond of KLF fame, I swore to stop that rule. So when I decided to read "50 Shades of Gray" to see what all the girls were finding so fascinating, I stopped before the end. Such a poorly written POS.

Quote: (09-07-2013 10:58 AM)MunichSux Wrote:  

All "Market Wizards" book by Jack Schwager - a total of four by now. Google for some of the interviewees ... "Ray Dalio", "Bruce Kovner", "Steve Cohen". Talk about paycheck envy.

Yeah - he is the worst person to be writing these books! He just can't understand why it didn't work for him lol...

Quote: (09-14-2013 03:43 PM)Cyr Wrote:  

Scale and Scope, The Dynamics of International Capitalism.
I don't know if anyone else has read this but its a real killer. It would take me about an hour to read 30 pages, because the writing was so dense

An hour to read 30 pages?! Dude, it takes me about a month to read 30 pages, I'm so slow!

Quote: (09-16-2013 03:37 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

I find it an agony trying to read fiction. My brain just cannot engage with it. So for me it would be a novel or something.

It's weird, I haven't read fiction for maybe 10 years now as I've been reading books on making money or factual books of some kind. Now, I tried fiction again, so hard to do - I think it's probably a good thing to do though.

I'll add also, "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" by James Joyce. Just annoying to read... too clever for it's own good. Or I'm just too thick. Oh, and Ewan McGregor once said it's his favourite book - an obvious and pretentious lie!

Messages In This Thread