rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What is the hardest book you've ever read?

What is the hardest book you've ever read?

Quote: (09-06-2013 08:08 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

I believe a strategy for some writers is to make their work so dense that even people who don't understand it will claim to love it so that they can show intellectual superiority to others.

Absolutely true. Try anything by The Frankfurt School - Adorno, Habermas, Marcuse et al. I used to flatter myself that I understood it, but it was mostly just mind-wanking on my part.

I happened across a nice piece about intellectual snobbery by A A Milne yesterday:

"A good many years ago I had a painful experience. I was discovered by my house-master reading in bed at the unauthorized hour of midnight. Smith minor in the next bed (we shared a candle) was also reading. We were both discovered. But the most annoying part of the business, as it seemed to me then, was that Smith minor was discovered reading Alton Locke, and that I was discovered reading Marooned Among Cannibals. If only our house-master had come in the night before! Then he would have found me reading Alton Locke. Just for a moment it occurred to me to tell him this, but after a little reflection I decided that it would be unwise. He might have misunderstood the bearings of the revelation."

Messages In This Thread