rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Boracay

Boracay

I stayed here for 3.5 weeks, the first 3 days I hated it, I felt like I had been fooled into coming to a complete tourist trap where all the guys are middle aged foreign men and all the girls are hookers (aka Patong). However there is actually quite a cool expat community and yes, there are alot of local hookers and ladyboys, but there is also many, many more hot, legit girls that come to holiday here from all over the Philippines. There's also many hot girls from all over the world. Not to mention the beaches on Boracay are some of the best I've seen. White Beach, which is the main beach, apparently got voted #1 beach in Asia last year. I'm not sure I'd agree with that, but it definitely is nice. As busy as it is, the island also has a very laid back vibe, walking along the main strip you will mainly see live acoustic music sets and people chilled out on the beach with buckets of beer, rather than people drugged up jamming to club music and wasted off their faces. Sometimes the latter is alot of fun, but it's nice to see a busy island in SEA with a chilled out vibe.

A lot of people recommend coming in low season, it is a lot cheaper, but I'd prefer to come in high season as you'll avoid the rain, the weather is hotter and there's more people. I'm sure both seasons can be a good time though.

Another tip is get friendly with the owners of the bars and restaurants. Most of them are expats, and they'll be able to tell you everything you need to know about the island, as well as introduce you to a lot of local people that know where to find a good time. It's a small island, everyone knows everyone, so hanging with locals can get you cheap or free booze in alot of places, avoid the cover charges for clubs etc etc.

Accommodation:

I went during high season (February/March) and there was still alot of vacant rooms. I find it hard to believe people saying they showed up during high season and all accom was sold out. My advice would be to book at the most 1 night in advance (especially if you're arriving at night), and the next day just walk around and ask some of the small resorts and guesthouses. Around Station 2, you will find alot of "resorts" that consist of 5-20 rooms. You should be able to find beachfront private rooms with ensuites for 2,000 pesos ($45) per night. I stayed for 3 weeks during high season and had a room smack bang in the middle of the action, my front door literally on the foot of White Beach at Station 2, for 10,000 pesos per week (around $230). Double bed, fridge, TV, hot water, AC, fresh towels and sheets each day. If you hunt around I'm sure you can actually find cheaper. Around Station 1, there are some flashier resorts for the higher rollers. Prob set you back something like $100-$200 a night. It's much quieter down there, and only a 5-10 min walk to Station 2 where most of the good bars and clubs are. Not to mention the beach is much nicer that way too. Regency is a higher end hotel which is in the middle of the action. Shangri La is very flash and expensive, but its a bit out of the way. In fact I didn't even see it the whole time I was there, I just heard everyone keep saying how expensive it was.
One chick took me back to her place which was back on the main road about 10 minutes walk from the beach. It was actually a really nice little apartment with a kitchen, bathroom and single bed. No AC though. She said it was only 3,000 ($70) per month. However, she was a local. I have no idea how you would score a place like that, but just remember its available if you wana ask around and hunt it down.

Gym:

I'd recommend having a killer beach body when you're on the island. It's so hot and so a lot of the time you'll be shirtless or in a tanktop. Even at night.

There's a few options. Patio Pacific Resort in Station 2 has a small but decent gym with everything you need to stay in shape (Free weights, bench, boxing bag, smith machine). It's not cheap though. 300 pesos ($7) for a day pass. Regency also has a small but sufficient gym but I think it's for guests only. Sometimes there's nobody in there though, you can just rock up and use it. Also you do not need a key to get in. If a staff member is sitting in there, he'll ask your room number. Just tell him a room number and you're OK. Even if he's knows your lying, he probably won't care.
Kingfisher hotel probably has the most complete gym in terms of weightlifting, and it's only 60 pesos ($1.50) for a day pass. I went there regularly. It's a bit away from the action though, take a tricycle there, I paid around 30 pesos (75 cents) one way. Probably your best option. Has all your basics - bench, squat rack, free weights, cables, bag. Not the cleanest gym in the world but will get the job done.

Food:

This island has pretty much everything you can think of. There are good budget eats around. A standard meal for me was rice, a few eggs, chicken stew and some veges for around 200 pesos ($4.50). Lots of joints selling local food at that price ($3-$5). If you feel like splurging, you can find pretty much anything you want here - Italian, Mexican, Spanish, American, Chinese, Korean etc etc.
Between Station 2 and 3 there is the D Mall. It's like a shopping area filled with restaurants (well over 30 of em), as well as all types of other little shops. You will find any type of food from very cheap to very expensive, fast food, cafe food, flashy restaurant food etc. I don't think eating well is a problem on Boracay.
Don't forget to indulge in the fresh fruit shakes for around 100 pesos ($2.30). Mango on Boracay are amazing.

Nightlife:

In my opinion, going out in Boracay is pretty overrated. There's really only a few main clubs I can think of.
Paraw: Down near Station 1, this is quite a big place and is often packed, but most of the local girls here are hookers and other than that it's mostly dudes. You'll find a couple of western girls there but not in large numbers. Not when I was there anyway.
Summer Place: Also filled with hookers but generally a better crowd than Paraw. There was some nights where there were alot of white girls crowding out the dance floor, boozed off their faces and well into holiday mode i.e. bang mode. A lot of Scandinavian and Euro chicks in general. Always seemed to be meeting Swedes and Spanish girls.
Epic: Probably the classiest joint I could find. Actually looks like a nightclub and not a hooker joint, and doesnt attract many local girls. I think alot of them aren't allowed in, since the bouncers know they're hookers. Probably your best bet to find other travelers.
Cocomangas: Seriously a ladyboy and hooker fest. Go check it out though, you might like it.
There's a few other 'clubs' on the island but I never really checked them all out. Perhaps someone else can chime in on this.

Like I said, going out on Boracay = overrated. Alternatively, there are so many nice little bars and lounge type places with very good live acoustic sets playing. There are too many for me to name. Just walk along the beach at Station 2 and you'll be spoilt for choice. In my experience a better way to spend your night is snag some phone numbers, set up a date at one of these places, sit back in the sand in your little lounge chair and get her boozed while live music plays in the background. Maybe bounce a couple of times and then do your thing.

You'll actually find that unless theres a big party somewhere that night, by 1am the island has quietened down a bit and people have headed home. Some people move to the hooker bars like Summer Place and Paraw, but those clubs actually seemed to have a better crowd before midnight.

Also a new rule is the bars need to stop playing music at midnight. So usually by 12:30 or 1am alot of the beach is quiet and closed down, and only the clubs are still open. Nightclubs can keep on playing music til whenever. Sometimes there's an exception to this rule e.g. Holy Week.

Girls:

There is a complete overflow of Korean tourists on Boracay. They are everywhere. They also seem to roll in packs of no less than 20 and are generally groups of old people or young couples. You might find a few young single ones floating around though.
Euro chicks are also abundant and are generally keen to party.
To Filipinos, Boracay is like a little sanctuary where they can come and get wasted and do whatever they want with no repercussions. These are words spoken to me by Filipino girls. If you meet a local girl and she says shes from Cebu or Manila, I'd say you have a really really good chance to have her in your bed that night. If you meet a local girl and shes from Boracay, well, theres a good chance shes a semi pro, and if shes a good girl she prob wont be as DTF as the girls that have come to holiday from the big cities. Another piece of advice is don't be stringing along too many girls that actually live on the island. Boracay is VERY small, at least the tourist part, and you are definitely going to be bumping into the same girls again and again. If you piss off the wrong girl, you may have cousins and brothers after you. The locals don't fight fair either, which means weapons, 5 on 1, anything goes. And the locals on Boracay pretty much get away with anything. I heard a shitload of bad stories from some expat restaurant owners that I used to hang out with, doesn't sound fun. On the other hand, the locals are also really cool guys if you're on their good side, so play your cards right.
During the day on the beach is probably the best time to talk to girls and get numbers. Make sure you're in good shape [Image: wink.gif] There is also a pub crawl a few nights a week that is not a bad way to meet girls, but its around $20 pp. Save your cash and just follow them [Image: smile.gif]

Massage:

Lots of good massage joints. I'd say avoid the ones on the beach and actually go to the ones that have an establishment. The masseuses are actually well trained and the Filipino Hilot style massage actually rivals the traditional Thai, imo. Check it out and decide for yourself. 400 pesos per hour ($9). I actually had some success with my masseuse too, although we had to grab a drink way down the other end of the beach because she said she'll lose her job if she's caught messing around with clients. So if you do ask for her number, do it discreetly.

Cellphone:

You need a cellphone. Pick up a simcard at any of the local phone shops, they sell sim starter packs for $1. Go for Globe or Smart. It's pretty easy to get on their 3G prepaid service, so you can stay connected. Most bars and restaurants have wifi too.

Visa:

Not far from D Mall is the immigration office. If you're over your free 21 days, 3000 pesos ($70) can get you a 58 day visa if I remember correctly.

Booze:

Booze is cheap, but not dirt cheap. A beer might cost you 100 pesos ($2.30). A cocktail might cost you 200ish ($5). I'd probably spend 1000 ($23) on a night out. If you wana smoke a shisha (great for dates imo) they'll cost around 400 ($10).

Note: If you can go during Holy Week, which is in April sometime I think, the island is overflowing with hot local girls looking to have a good time. By good time I mean drunken, no strings attached sex. My friends that live on the island would drool every time they talked about Holy Week. Everything will be more crowded and more expensive, but the beach and bars will be flooded with sexy Filipinas in bikinis going wild. Unfortunately I had already left by the time Holy Week rolled around, but perhaps some of the guys here can report back on this. Chinese New Year is supposed to be very busy too.

There you have it. For me, I would personally take Boracay over Patong or Koh PhiPhi any day of the week. But to each his own. There's also a whole lot of this island that I didn't cover, so feel free to add your own info - this is far from a complete guide of the island. There are many other beaches and drinking spots that I didn't manage to check out.

Also remember that Boracay changes very fast and very often. Especially the restaurants/bars.

Messages In This Thread