rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Would you pay to join a crossfit gym?

Would you pay to join a crossfit gym?

Crossfit does have some good points to it. They utilize excellent exercises such as the squat, kettlebell swing and deadlift so people will see good results over time. The problem is that as the number of "boxes" has exploded they have failed to maintain a high level of coaching. There exists a high rate of injury due to the misuse of exercises such as the snatch which should only be taught to people who can squat 1.5 x bw and are capable of the required flexibility. They also have some WODs I have seen that have you doing 10+ snatches in a row and other insanity. Though I am not an olympic lifter I go to a gym that has produced some nationally competitive olympic lifters and they would never do 10+ snatches in a row due to the breakdown in form. They told me that 3 is the maximum set of snatches/cleans that are performed sequentially.

If you are doing crossfit you need to avoid exercises that do high levels of snatching/c&jing and be an absolute form nazi or you will suffer pretty severe and possibly irreparable injuries, particular to the shoulders and the lumbar spine. Also you should focus on WODs that have significant strength components as opposed to the "met con" focuses WODs.

If you want to read some really disturbing stuff that can happen when idiots train google "rhabdomyolysis crossfit". It is a condition where your muscles breakdown and the proteins are released into your blood stream. It is life threatening and requires hospitalization and dialysis. Apparently going situps on a glute ham raise machine causes this too happen.

Here is one account:
http://www.crossfitsantacruz.com/crossfi...story.html

In short, no one should really be doing crossfit until they can deadlift and squat at least 1.5 times their bodyweight. A basic barbell progression such as the starting strength program will safely allow you to get quite strong in a short amount of time.

Messages In This Thread