rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Making the Most of a Language Partner

Making the Most of a Language Partner

The guy Benny from fluentinthreemonths is sort of aggressively optimistic about picking up a language that quickly (he makes some bold claims) but if hardcore language immersion is your thing then your plan is excellent.

I always got the impression that Chinese girls were shy (do they speak English? Are they second generation?) so you might have to direct the conversation seriously to get the information you want.

Make day plans or short excursions and stop at cafes. Bring a notebook, study your notes from week to week, and ask them how the Chinese interact with each other.
Customs (bowing and whatnot) are useful to know unless you like to play the naive and dimwitted foreigner - which can be an option, foreigners usually get a pass.

Bring your own sheets of vocab and have them critique it - eliminating the worthless or archaic words and replacing them with useful words (you'd be surprised at the shit that clutters modern language textbooks, I knew of a few very archaic German words that I'd drop in conversation - people were completely baffled and it took me a while to unlearn those words).

Messages In This Thread