rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Death of the Unpaid Internship

The Death of the Unpaid Internship

I like how people who have never worked in a kitchen are aruging with a man whose life is spent in one.

That's another funny thing about the U.S. Guys who never worked in a kitchen have no problem creating laws telling someone who lives in one how to hire.

I waited tables and being working in a restaurant is something you can only tell...when the guy is a cook or waiter.

I've seen waiters melt down on the job. In many ways waiting tables is more stressful than lawyering. The stakes of waiting tables are small but there a 100 minor annoyances that bring everyone to his breaking point. (I even got so pissed off once that I quit my job. Then at the end of my shit I un-quit, and my manager just laughed as he understood how it is.)

If you hire a waiter, how do you know who is going to do side work? Who is going to pre-bus? Who is going to run out hot food and do all of those other "tragedy of the commons" type situations that do not contribute directly to bigger tips?

When someone sings happy birthday to you, all of the waiters have to stop what they are doing to go over to sing. That means time away from their own tables, which might mean missing someone's drink order and getting a smaller tip.

How do you tell who is going to be a team player and who is going to sham?

Work 12 hours in front of a hot ass stove with entitled cute girls screwing up orders requiring you to do a re-make...It's trial by fire. I always felt a lot of empathy for the cooks.

By why listen to someone who is an expert explain all this?

We all know better!

Not singling out any guys. That's just how we do things in the U.S., especially in liberal states like California. We know better than the people on the front lines. Fuck what they have to say. We are going to regulate how they hire and fire people.

Messages In This Thread