rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

3000 years ago everyone had schizophrenia
000 years ago everyone had schizophrenia
I've read Julian Jayes and am familiar with his ideas. His theory of bicameralism is one version of the more generalized concept of the human personality being a system consisting of sub-selves. The is the theory that there is no unified human personality. Rather the human personality consists of semi-autonomous components that network together to create a human personality. Eric Berne (Transactional Analysis) calls these components "ego states". Marvin Minsky (former computer science professor at MIT) calls them "agents". other names used are "agents", "talents", and "sub-personalities". I consider this concept of psychology to be correct, although the details have yet to be worked out. Furthermore, I believe once the neurobiology that correlates with the various sub-components have been identified and correlates established, I believe bio-engineering techniques will be developed that, by modifying these sub-personalities and how they network with each other, human cognitive and behavior performance can be increased. I believe this bio-engineering technique will become to be called "Therapy" in the sense that one does not get therapy, rather one gets therapied, and that the sociopolitical results will be profound.

What I find most significant about Julian Jayes's theory of the bicameralism is that it is, by far, the best explanation for the origin of religion belief and the Abrahamic religions in particular. In short, religious belief in modern humans is a vestigial psychological remnant of the bicameral mind.

A good SF novel that has the general concept of the of the system of sub-selves psychology is Greg Bear's novel "Queen of Angels". I consider this novel to be one of the most brilliant SF novels of the past 30 years.

Messages In This Thread