rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Testosterone, it is no revelation

Testosterone, it is no revelation

Just providing another perspective...

Currently in my early 30's. Once I hit 30, I started noticing metabolism slowing down. Increased body fat. Low energy. Less mental sharpness. Libido down a bit.

My weight had jumped up to close to 190lbs (@ 6'0"); I was the epitome of "skinnyfat." Started snoring at night time; had to wake up several times at night to urinate. Woke up fatigued. I felt I was headed towards Metabolic Syndrome (if not already suffering from it.) I decided to get my ass in gear; start eating better (researched things like Paleo/Primal diets, intermittent fasting), working out more/getting in better shape, attempting to sleep better. Overall I wanted to improve my quality of life, which was slipping considerably.

In my research to optimize all these facets of my life, I came across HRT and TRT. I started reading voraciously; consuming knowledge from forums, articles, blogs, medical journals, youtube videos ... anything I could get my virtual hands on.

Some excellent manosphere resources out there as well:
D&P
Thumotic
Art of Manliness
GLL
B&D

I read a ton about TRT and decided that even if I don't start TRT now; let me see where my blood levels are and let me try to dial in and optimize my overall well being.

Summer of 2013

I was 6 ft tall; weighing close to 190lbs; with a 36inch waist; ~25% bodyfat. Considerable amount of belly, back, flank, thigh fat. Snoring at night (found out it was due to enlarged tonsils.) I had been lifting heavy compound lifts; at first did the Starting Strength program focusing on Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Overhead Press, Pullups, etc.. Then I figured that I needed to join a real gym (i.e. one with real power racks, not just Smith machines) and hire a personal trainer to dial in my form plus provide a financial motivation for me to keep busting it at the gym.

I started some supplementation as well. Vit D 5000 units daily, Zinc 50mg daily, Creatine 5g daily.
Tried to fix my diet as well. Dabbled in intermittent fasting; attempted to limit carbs; added in some protein shakes. But I did NOT monitor my calorie intake systematically.

Libido was down a bit. After a single session with a girl; it was rare if I could ever get going for a second go-round in the same night.
Overall life stress wasn't too bad at the time.

As mentioned, I decided to get labs done to see if low T could be contributing to some of my slip in quality of life and/or if TRT could provide a bump.
[I'll provide a lab flowsheet below]

My total T at this time was around 500 (below avg for my age), estradiol in the high 30s, cortisol and DHEA were very high, thyroid not exactly optimal, and glucose metabolism also needed some work.

While my total T was low, I decided I was going to try to fix some of these ancillary issues prior to committing to TRT.

Dec 2013

Weight dropped to mid 170s (from 190lbs). Body fat % reduced to the high teens (from 25%).
Had tonsillectomy to improve snoring; improved sleep hygiene.
Started using MyDailyFitnessPal App to track calorie intake.
Continued Vit D, K2, B12, E, Selenium, ZMA supps.
Continued workouts.

Had next lab panel drawn.
Again Total T around 500. Estradiol improved to 25 (from 37). IGF-1 actually went up (maybe due to heavy lifting?) Cortisol/DHEA still elevated. Some improvement in thyroid (minor). Little improvement in glucose metabolism.

I figured I was making some minor improvements thanks to lifestyle/supp changes; so again let me continue down this path and not commit to TRT just yet.

Feb 2014

6'0" 172lbs bodyfat % still in high teens.

Sleep dramatically improved to excellent since tonsils out.

Beginning in Jan 2014, started working with a nutritionist to really dial in diet for both training and non-training days. Intermittent Fasting - 8hr feeding window - based on principles derived from martin berkhan, alan aragon, lyle mcdonald.

Training day macros: 240g carbs, 50g fat, 160g protein.
Rest day macros: 50g carbs, 75g fat, 160g protein.

Started cooking >90% meals at home. All organic, GMO-free, free-range, grass-fed, etc. ingredients.
Bought a food scale to ensure accurate measurement.

Weekly meals/groceries planned out on an excel spreadsheet to allow better compliance with hitting daily/weekly macros.

Continued to stick with personal trainer; 4 days per week; heavy compound lifts.
Since January, started tracking weights/sets/reps on an excel spreadsheet.
Tracking various body measurements with a tape measure on same spreadsheet.
Started taking weekly front & side pics to track visual changes over time.

Also in Jan, bought an Angel Juicer to gain some benefits from juicing.
Juicing 4 days a week using a slight variation* of this as my pre-workout drink/juice.

(*eliminated creatine as it was giving me facial bloat & subbed beta-alanine for glutamine based on my own personal needs/research from examine.com)

Again, labs in Feb 2014: Total T did NOT budge (still around 500 -- below avg for my demographic). Estradiol leveled off in the 20s. Adrenal labs improved. Glucose metabolic labs about the same. Thyroid function improved a bit.

-----

[Image: y1dt.jpg]

[I've included a flowsheet of my lab progress to date. Let me know if I need to adjust the formatting; don't want to junk up the thread]

In search of wanting to dial myself in completely and fully optimize my well-being/health/quality of life, I am again considering taking the plunge into TRT.

I could also continue on my current path with the lifestyle changes I've made.
Possibly add in others that you guys might suggest...
and then again, wait & see ... and hope for some improvement in another couple of months.

Or I could come to the realization that perhaps I have maxed out my natural potential (while making some improvements in thyroid, adrenal, other functions) ... and that maybe now I can honestly and smartly consider TRT; having tried non-hormonal methods thus far.

Realistically, currently life is not that bad, but...
I'd rather not live at an average/below average quality level, but...
I am also committed to ensuring my long-term health, and...
would regret prematurely jeopardizing it without making sure I did my due diligence.

Hope this helps some guys out there.
Interested to hear feedback.

Messages In This Thread