rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Toronto is a diverse city?

Toronto is a diverse city?

Quote: (05-18-2013 01:03 PM)Moma Wrote:  

I used to go to Nova Scotia a lot for a lizard. I found Nova Scotia to contradict what Canada promotes. It reminded of the US equivalent of Alabama, Mississippi etc. There was a clear division between the blacks and whites, prejudice (which I experienced on my visits and which frankly confused me).

I used to visit Halifax at least four times a year for two-three weeks a pop. Now although Nova Scotia has the largest amount of indigenous Canadian blacks (blacks that are not of immediate African or Caribbean descent), the segregation was quite crazy there.

Now the East Canadians are definitely polite but would I live in Nova Scotia?

The overcast weather plus the backward race relations plus lack of skilled jobs (to my perspective) equalled a no. My lizard wanted me to move there and I thought for what? Apart from the great seafood, there was no other lure.

Now Scotian, how come such a large percent of peeps from Nova Scotia are pimps and hos???! Wassupwiddat?

Good call on not settling in NS, its a great place to visit and I'm proud of where I"m from (mostly) but its not a great place for a young person, especially an ambitious one. There's definitely a defeatist attitude down there and crab-in-the-bucket mentality, I see it every time I go home among my family and friends.

As for race relations, NS is definitely different than the rest of Canada in that regard, most Canadians don't even know about our black population that have been there since shortly after the American Revolution and war of 1812. I have a black friend from NS who's working out in Alberta and he's always putting people in their place when they ask where he's from, it goes something like this

Random Albertan: So where are you from?
My friend: Nova Scotia
Random Albertan: Oh I didn't know there's black people in NS, but where are you really from, like your parents?
My friend: Nova Scotia, my family has been in NS since the 18th century, a lot longer than your Ukrainian ass!

Whenever I hear people talking about Canada as if its some kind of post-racial utopia, I know they're not talking about Nova Scotia because the experience of the local blacks there hasn't been an easy one. Listen to this CBC reporter dropping the N-bomb at the end of this clip:

Messages In This Thread