rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Dilemma: MacBook Air Or Pro?

Dilemma: MacBook Air Or Pro?

Hey guys, I've been having a major dilemma here. I'm about to get a new laptop and I've decided to join the bandwagon of the Mac laptops (which to be honest, look awesome as I tried one a few days ago and was ready to get one on the spot!). However, I'm unsure as to which one would be best for me between the 13 inches Mac Air and 13 inches MBPro.

Here's what I need it for:
- regular web surfing
- writing
- picture and video creation and editing using Jing and Camtasia for my biz.
- being fast, able to handle multiple windows and apps open at the same time.
- I'll be bringing it with my on my trips so weight is important and that's one main reason I'm looking at the Mac as they are very light even compared to my current laptop.

I'm far from being a computer geek, and looking at the Apple site, I'm also getting a bit confused as to whether I'd need any of the upgrades offered as upsells on the site/store such as:
- memory upgrade from 4gb to 8gb
- hard drive upgrade, for example on the MBPro, it is listed as coming with the 500GB serial ATA drive but can be upgraded to 750 ATA drive for an extra 100 bucks.
- Apple care protection, 3 years for 279$. Is it worth it guys? With my previous laptop, a Toshiba that I bought 3 years ago, I did buy the extra warranty and I did use it once when upon my return from my Mini Retirement in BKK, my wifi drive stopped working and took it to the wharehouse and they fixed it at no cost. I have mixed feelings on buying warranties, some say it's a waste of money while others swear by it. What's the verdict on a MAC? How is Apple when it comes to honoring warranty works?
- One to One membership (99 bucks) where you can go to any Apple Store as many times as you want for a full year and attend their classes on how to use it. I'm not a computer newbie but I am a newbie when it comes to the Mac, so is that needed guys or just a waste of $?

So in light of all of the above, what would you guys recommend I get between the 2 for a first time Mac user? Which would be the best to make as smooth of a transition as possible from the PC to the MAC? The Air or the Pro? What has been your experience with a Mac, whether it be a MBA or a MBP?

Appreciate all your feedbacks guys!

Cheers!

Messages In This Thread