rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Anyone ever regret starting their own business?

Anyone ever regret starting their own business?

By way of background, I’m 27, and run my own tech business with 6 employees. I’m not a typical tech nerd, in fact I made my living as a journalist out of college for a number of years.

But, one day, the opportunity and the idea presented themselves to me, and I jumped on the chance.

Of course, running my own business at this age is a pretty cool feat, and it’s a lot of fun for various reasons, but I’ve got to ask: for other guys that have started their own company, do you ever regret it?

What I mean is, I have a harder time getting away from my own business than I ever did as a full time employee working for someone else. I’d love to quit tomorrow, take 4 months away from any kind of work, and just cruise around Europe for the summer, living off my savings.

But I can’t. It's not like I can tell my boss to screw off and that I'm quitting...because I am the boss. I have to be the first one in the office tomorrow, and the last one to leave. I just feel this huge weight of responsibility, and I feel trapped. I know I can’t leave this company in good conscious for at least a couple years. Sure I will take some vacation and some days off here and there, but fuck, I’d love to spend ages 28-30 traveling the world, doing odd jobs here and there, and then figure out the rest when I’m in my 30’s.

I guess it’s sort of like being in a long term relationship. There are tremendous benefits, but I miss being free more than anything in the world.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Care to talk some sense into me?

Messages In This Thread