rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

US = Poosy Purgatory. Here's why...

US = Poosy Purgatory. Here's why...

Quote: (05-07-2013 12:22 PM)scotian Wrote:  

As an American, you have a non-biased, objective view of Montreal and Quebec, you see it as it is: a unique North American city with great night life, women, etc. You didn't grow up with the anti-Quebec brain washing that the average anglo Canadian was exposed to his entire life. You'd pretty much need to take a course on Canadian history to really understand the Anti Quebec sentiment in Canada, as well as the anti-Canada sentiment in Quebec.

Quebec had two referendums where they almost separated and tore the country apart (1980 and 95') and had devastating affects on our national unity, many people still aren't over it and the separatist threat is still very much alive in Quebec.

Myself, I learned the language and moved to Montreal to study and also got a uni degree in French, I'm fluent. Quebec is a whole different world that many Canadians don't really care about, just as many Quebecers don't give a shit about Canada. Kind of sad really, but I'm glad that I have the option to move back there, something I'm keen on doing in the near future, we'll see.

I get where you are coming from.

Your right, as an American, I didn't know sh*t about Montreal.

I wrote this a while back:

Quote:Quote:

3. History of Montreal. I realized that Americans don’t learn any history of Montreal or Quebec in school. Basically, an American school teaches you that: “The French came over from France to Quebec and started fur trading things like Beaver Pelts. And now we have modern day Montreal!” That’s about it. Hell, I didn’t even know the capital of Canada. I felt like an idiot. That is until I asked all my friends if they knew the capital of Canada and I think only one knew it on a second guess. And a lot of my friends are legitimately smart and well traveled. Or at least smarter than me.

That is sick that you are fluent in French. I think that would make assimilation there super easy, wouldn't it?

I mean, that are a lot of anglophones in Montreal plus all the Irish, Italian, Lebanese, Morrocans etc. that also speak French.

Messages In This Thread