rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Southern US, go or no?

Southern US, go or no?

Quote: (05-07-2013 11:20 AM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

Quote: (05-07-2013 11:12 AM)Roustabout Wrote:  

Let me add a little first hand information. I live in Birmingham, AL. Someone earlier mentioned it as a place to avoid. While I would agree it's not a place to vacation, if you are here for work or just passing through, it's not a bad place to head out on the town.

Granted, I'm in my 40's, so my view is skewed from you guys in your twenties, but, just like anywhere, there are attractive women in this town, you just have to know where to go to find them. By and large, the women here are conservative, but they like to have a good time. College football is huge here. The best time to visit is in the fall (the weather is awesome during the fall).

Birmingham is a feeder town for people from SEC schools, particularly Alabama and Auburn. So, if you've been to those two campuses, you know there are plenty of attractive women coming out of those two schools. (And if you haven't been to Alabama's or Auburn's campuses, go to a football game in the fall). Granted, plenty head to Atlanta and parts out of state, but a lot come here. Also, Birmingham has its own large school, the University of Alabama at Birmingham, which attracts a substantial undergrad population (probably 15,000), but also pulls in people from all over to attend its medical school, which means you have a sizable population of intelligent, most single women, working on becoming physicians.

Other things of interest. Golf is big here, google the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail. I don't play, but I hear it offers great courses. Believe it or not, a lot of people here get into triathlons and endurance races (the warm winters provide opportunity for year round training). Great mountain biking. Decent music scene. Plus, Alabama's beaches are fantastic.

Roustabout, I have close ties to Bham and will actually be there this weekend. I haven't lived there in about 9 years and no longer know that many people there. What are the spots you'd recommend hitting on a weekend? I'm assuming it's all mostly downtown? I know there's one trashy nightclub - Aqua Lounge? (I saw what had to be a FSU girl stumbling out with some white trash guys last time I was in the area and had to do a double take).

I feel like there has GOT to be a few halfway decent swoop spots in that city, but everytime I go I'm disappointed. I've been out to Innisfree and "Nana funks" which had pretty marginal talent selection.

Can you throw out a few spots?
Downtown Birmingham is garbage. The bars are trash, and the area gets really seedy really quick. Is deserted as soon as 5PM hits.

Try the Highlands, 5 Points South area. Bars that are closer together with more educated, although more of a hippie crowd.

As a rule, though, I stay out of B'Ham (although I have to go next weekend). The neighborhood around the Iron Bowl may be the worst ever.

"In America we don't worship government, we worship God." - President Donald J. Trump

Messages In This Thread