rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Veterans Thread

The Veterans Thread

Quote: (01-02-2014 04:02 PM)cool Wrote:  

Quote: (01-01-2014 08:37 AM)hoops330 Wrote:  

What are the opportunities for those that happen to study a foreign language at the DLI, especially one of the tougher ones such as Farsi, Arabic, Korean?
Anyone study there? I scored well on the DLAB and am hoping to get an opportunity to go there and get paid to learn a language.

I've been to DLI.

If you're interested in DLI, join the Navy. They actually put their linguists to good use. The other services will spend all the money for you to learn a language and then assign you to a unit where you don't use it.

Also, from my experience the Navy students at DLI had the least amount of bs to deal with in their units.

I was a DLI linguist as well but Air Force. Depending on your language you will get to use it if you are a ground language. You will be sitting a rack at minimum transcribing. There are various other ways to use your language as a ground linguist but I don't know much about them. I was airborne and like Cool said, you may not get to use your language at all. Airborne linguists tend to get used only where we happen to be conducting military operations and if they don't have that specific language they are using other skills that happen to be taught while going through airborne training.

Messages In This Thread